Is there such a thing as a headset reducer spacer?

rohan
rohan Posts: 591
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have seen similar questions, but can't find what I'm looking for exactly, and want to be sure -

Can I KEEP the 1.5 headset, buy some spacers for that and fit a 1-1/8 steerer fork? Without havign to go to the extra expense of gettign a whole new headset? Seems to me that SHOULD be possible, but can't seem to find such a thing?

More (not strictly necessary) detail:
The XC 30 TKs on my girlfriend's Trail SL3 have packed up (partly due to me being cavalier about maintenance because I'm used to fit-and-forget 'Zocchis) and we want a decent replacement on a budget. I'm looking at getting a decent fork off ebay, but 90% in the budget range seem to be 1-1/8 steerers... So some extra advice would be appreciated as concerns RockShox forks - how far up the range do you need to do the extra lower leg lubing that I didnt realise was required?!

Thanks for any help!
Pffff. Never thought I would feel this lost as regards bike tech :(

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Yep. Hope do one.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • rohan
    Not as far as I can see! The only thing they do that I can find is for ONE half of the set up and soudns like it's a pretty much permanent fit, which is no good if I fit two either side of the headset... It's ALMOST exactly what I want, but far too permanent! Would love it if you can tell me I'm wrong! :P
  • this: - http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=478 does the bottom bearing, but they say superstar only. I presume (dangerous I know) that you are not looking for a top reducer as well - never heard of one of those?
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    there are a few around hope, superstar, cane creek, FSA, da bomb all do one
  • rohan
    I definitely need the top spacer too - it's a straight 1.5 set up at the moment! Surely the bottom spacer would fit the top, though? Unless it's a hard push fit like the Hope one?

If there's so many companies that do it, why can't I find them to buy any where?! >.< Clearly my googling skills need work...
  • I've not seen what you're looking for.

Suck it up and buy a cheap headset
  • Nope never seen a top wedge 1.5 reducer, buy a cheap headset or a cheap 1.5 fork
  • rohan
    Bah, thanks for clarifying the issue, the forks already needed to be cheap - I've seen no (better) 1.5 steerer forks cheap enough, and adding the cost of a headset makes the budget tighter, but there we go - hopefully I can find a proper steal!

Thanks, Rohan
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Sorry didnt realise you had a 1.5 straight steerer. You might be able to get a cane creek headset that does it.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    rohan wrote:
    Bah, thanks for clarifying the issue, the forks already needed to be cheap - I've seen no (better) 1.5 steerer forks cheap enough, and adding the cost of a headset makes the budget tighter, but there we go - hopefully I can find a proper steal!

Thanks, Rohan

headset shouldn't cost much and you already have the cups in there so you should only have to change the top bits that sit in.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Chris King do one, but it wont be cheap
  • rohan
    Are you sure? I can't see it on their website... They do a 1-1/4 to 1-1/8 conversion kit, but not 1.5 that I can see :( So close! >.<
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Not a kit. You would need a whole headset. If you were fitting tapered forks you can buy a reducer top piece.

TBF the CK website is a bit rubbish
  • OJS
    OJS Posts: 130
    Qwerty cycles do them for cannondales.
  • rohan
    Thanks, but the Trail SL has a standard 1.5 head tube - the reducer kits at qwerty are for C'dale's weird non-standard size...
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    If you can't reduce the headset then beef up the steerer tube with shims - it's what I do when converting 1" forks for use in 1.1/8" headtubes.

Here are the necessary calculations:

1" = 25.4mm
    1/8" = 3.175mm

Steerer tube diameter for 1.1/8 aheadsets = 25.4mm

Similarly, steerer tube diameter for 1.5" aheadsets = 1.4/8" - 1/8" = 1.3/8" = 34.925mm [but, double check by measuring the actual steerer tube itself!]

Wall thickness of shim required = (34.925 - 25.4)/2 = 4.7625mm

Find an old seatpost, pipe or tube and use that as a starting point for a shim.
    You can use seatpost shims but you may have to do it in two stages: 25.4mm --> 27.2mm --> 34.9mm

Thicken the initial shim with home made shims cut from a drinks can where necessary (such as at the base where the crown race fits as it will have a slight wider diameter).

The steerer tube shim only needs to engage the headset bearings at the top and at the bottom of the headtube so you could cut a small band for the bottom and a longer section for the top from a long piece.
  • rohan
    Ahh, nice idea! Might give it a try if needs be! Thanks!

The fact that something so simple isn't available to buy is still annoying me, though! Not quite enough to make one available myself, but give me time/another bike with 1.5 and we'll see! ;)