Choice of 3 specialized bikes...

Whiz
Whiz Posts: 28
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi, looking for advice / opinion on which of the three to buy on c2w scheme.
Haven't ridden bike for 10 years, looking to do 12 mile round commute 5 days a week and if I get into riding, possibly weekend rides. Not sure about group / club riding.
The bikes;
2014 Allez Sport. A1 alu frame, carbon forks, sora groupset for £750
2013 Secteur Elite, A1 alu frame, carbon forks, tiagra groupset for £750
2013 TARMAC, 8r carbon frame, carbon forks, sora groupset for £880.

Leaning towards tarmac because could upgrade to better components if wanted but resale value better too if didn't like riding?

What do people think?

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Tarmac ... because you wrote it in capitals .... ;)

Actually, tbh, if you're not sure you'll get into riding then it's a fair chunk of money to spend and I doubt you'd get a lot of that back on resell ...

I have an Allez and Tarmac (bought in that order) - I have a different bike for commuting, although I am starting to use the Allez again... The Tarmac is for good rides as I don't need to trash it just commuting - but if you like it then you'll be upgrading the Sora groupset anyway ...
  • Sawilson
    Sawilson Posts: 171
    The Allez and TARMAC are basically the same bike apart from the frame material, they are a heads down, bum up racing bike.
    The Secteur is more of an upright riding position for Sportives and longer day rides.
    If you were thinking of carrying gear on your back or on the bike the Secteur is the better one to go for.
    I have a Spesh and think they are great bikes but I think there are better options if it is mainly going to be used for commuting.
    I am sure you will get some good recommendations for a good commuting bike.
    Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
    Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Out of interest, why are you so keen on Specialized bikes?

Personally I would not buy a bike with the intension of throwing the groupset away and putting a new one on before I had even ridden it. Get the groupset you want now or just be happy with the one it comes with.

I would say get the Sora Tarmac (or spend more on a better groupset) out of those. Guessing that has 2013 Sora which is nicer than Tiagra in some ways and you will not notice any difference anyway.

Its Carbon, looks nicer and will probably have better resale or better to keep as a winter bike if you really get into cycling.

The Tarmac is just a normal road bike. its not overly 'aggressive'. The Secteur is just overly 'relaxed' by comparison.

Are you spending any money on other stuff (helmet, lights etc.)?
    You may as well spend the whole £1000 as you are saving 30/40% and paying it off monthly.
    How much is a Tiagra Tarmac if you ideally want Tiagra.

Spending hundreds of pounds upgrading the groupset is financial suicide.
  • Whiz
    Oh I'm happy with the groupset I just realise that there can be some component snobbery lol
    Personally being a novice rider I think I'm probably going to notice frame weight and ride of carbon vs Alu more than the difference between sora and tiagra.
    I'm not planning to upgrade really but my thinking is if I did upgrade from sora to tiagra, the tarmac will be better than the Allez and then the tarmac tiagra will also be better than the default secteur tiagra. Probably lol
    The only reason the tarmac is a possibility is my c2w provider is willing to price match a different site who has it in a sale :-)
    And yes, I will be buying other stuff too so intend to spend the full amount. Might as well :-)
    I know none of the bikes come with pedals so will need to add those on and then get appropriate shoes with the grand, use the bonus £100 voucher we also get for lights and helmet :-)

And specialized... I've been told they are good plus all three lbs are specialized vendors for future support etc
  • Anonymous
    Sounds like the Sora Tarmac will be a good buy for you then.

It will never be worth upgrading from Sora to Tiagra. Maybe they will bring out an 11 speed 105 in the future that might be worth throwing cash at if you really like the frame in a couple of years.

Brake pads and wheels/tyres will be the best upgrade IMO.
    Have not had any experience of 9 speed so might be worth bearing in mind the possibility of a 10/11 speed upgrade for the future if you do get new wheels.

Make sure the frame is not too big for you ;-)
  • Whiz
    Looking forward to putting the official order in tomorrow :-)
  • Allen and Tarmac are similar Secteur is very very different kind of bike, your posture on them will be very very different - please don't buy one until you've tried them and know which type of bike suits your body.
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Whiz wrote:
    ...looking to do 12 mile round commute 5 days a week and if I get into riding, possibly weekend rides. Not sure about group / club riding...

If you believe that you absolutely need a racing bike for commuting and general riding, at least get the one with most generous tyre/mudguard clearance.
  • slowbike
    Barteos wrote:
    Whiz wrote:
    ...looking to do 12 mile round commute 5 days a week and if I get into riding, possibly weekend rides. Not sure about group / club riding...

If you believe that you absolutely need a racing bike for commuting and general riding, at least get the one with most generous tyre/mudguard clearance.
    I can get crud rr on the Allez but not completely on the Tarmac. Neither are as good for mudguards as the tricross which is my wet commute bike.

N+1 anyway - get either Allez or Tarmac now and get another one for wet commuting in October. ;)
  • Whiz
    Crud rr?
    Please Excuse my inexperience.
    And I won't be buying a new bike in October so you've got me thinking now! Grrr
  • Whiz
    And how do you find the tricross?
    Everybody in LBS's have said get carbon forks, especially as it's a b road and Alu will transfer every bump.
    Tricross has Alu right?
  • Whiz
    What if I Chucked this into the mix? 

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Cru ... _56044.htm
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    If you are getting a do it all bike you will use for commuting and it has to be spesh then I'd go for a tricross.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Whiz
    I've made decision, def tarmac with some crud rr guards when I need :-)
    Thanks all for your help and advice :-)
  • slowbike
    Whiz wrote:
    I've made decision, def tarmac with some crud rr guards when I need :-)
    Thanks all for your help and advice :-)
    Check the guards fit .... they don't fit properly on mine - not enough space between the back wheel and the frame.

The TriCross is an excellent all-round bike - I have 2 wheelsets, one with cx and the other with road tyres so it's quick to swap around. With road tyres it's as quick to ride normally as the other two.

All 3 of my bikes have carbon forks, but my wifes Sirrus hasn't - I can't say I noticed a difference (I commuted on her bike for a couple of weeks)

Tarmac is still a good choice. :)
  • Whiz
    I've also found sks guards which are apparently smaller and easier to fit.
    Cross that bridge etc...
  • Whiz wrote:
    I've also found sks guards which are apparently smaller and easier to fit.
    Cross that bridge etc...

If you're commuting on it I'd recommend the SKS Raceblade Long. Better coverage, just as quick to take off, and they don't destroy your seatstays.
  • snakedoc
    snakedoc Posts: 200
    Crud Roadracer mk 2's fit on my tarmac (S Works SL4) - it's a 54
  • Anonymous
    My vote would be Tarmac with SKS Raceblade Long as I imagine that combo ticks the most boxes.

It depends on what the OP mainly uses for and his ambitions, but IME a cyclocross bike is not great for summer road riding and Crud RR are a pain in the ar5e.

Race Blades are fine if you want basic protection but Raceblade Long protects bike and rider a lot better. Also stay/fork friendly as has been said.
  • slowbike
    snakedoc wrote:
    Crud Roadracer mk 2's fit on my tarmac (S Works SL4) - it's a 54
    Ah ok - mines an SL2 56cm
  • Whiz
    That's it, agreement signed for Tarmac :-)
    Apparently could expect delivery next week once authorised and then I'll be a cyclist.. Well, all the gear, no idea type of cyclist haha
  • I have an SL2 Roubaix and a 2014 SL4 Roubaix and based on your need to commute i would definitely get the Secteur.

You'll be in a way too race orientated position for commuting on the Tarmac (and i like Tarmacs before anybody says otherwise)
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530