Upper body armour for DH days

alexthebear
alexthebear Posts: 349
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
After having just read a few previous threads on the subject I've narrowed my question to this..... Do you use it and if so what?

I'm new to proper DH riding and by proper I mean Gawton DH tracks (if you don't know it look it up then comment). I've had 3 really big offs recently and I'm currently sporting some torn shoulder ligaments and a very painful bruised lower back which has got me looking at some body armour for DH days only. I've got a 2nd hand Leat neck brace on the way, have knee pads, 661 padded shorts and a full face, what do you guys wear with that?

I'm expecting the whole "learn to fall better" and "get a skills course" and yes I intend to do both but I know for the next year or so I'm going to be coming off a fair bit so want a layer of protection to reduce the impacts

Cheers

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Gawton can be a brutal place. Super Tavi and Egypt are fun but they can bite back when you get it wrong. I know both have claimed broken backs.
    I use 661 Vapour pressure suit but it's not compatible with a neck brace. I would go for either Alpinestars or Troy Lee armour with a neck brace.
    Personally I dont like shin guards but wouldn't ride downhill without knee pads.
    They do some great coaching days at Gawton.
    How are the trails holding up in this weather?
  • Gawton IS a brutal place full stop!!! Awsome runs that have been really well laid out but when it goes wrong it goes all levels of wrong hence the sudden urge for some extra protection :lol:

Like you I don't use shin pads and I've only ever used knee pads on the more severe DH runs and it's actually my back that I want protecting the most. Was looking at this with some seperate elbow pads if I feel the need. I reckon that will be a lot less restrictive than a full suit but having not actually worn one I'm not sure? Going into a local shop to see what I can try on.

I have only had the balls to ride Proper Job and HSD but while we were there a guy had a bad off on Super Tavi and was in visable pain which put me off having a go. The trails are in great condition given the weather, couple of pot holes before berms but other than that really good.

I didn't think I needed any coaching but now it's definetely something I'm gonna do
  • rockmonkeysc
    I prefer a full pressure suite to separate back and arm protection. It just all stays in the right places better and doesn't feel restrictive.
    I think Dartmoor Cycles had a bit of a selection in stock.
  • Just noticed your from "cider country" :wink: you far from Tavi? DC was where I was going :lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    I'm near Glastonbury so a little way from Gawton but I go down there when I can.
  • There was a group of guys that had travelled down from Cardiff just for that days worth of riding there, I'm so lucky to have it on my doorstep :mrgreen:

So back to the armour, you reckon full suits stay in place better for yourself? Got a guy offering me a brand new large 661 evo presure suit for £100, exactly like this one. Going to try it on next week and hopefully he'll wait for the monies as I'm on my stag weekend this weekend :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • rockmonkeysc
    That's the latest version of my armour. It's not the best but it work, is comfortable and fits me well.
    It may not be right for you because im pretty sure it's not compatible with your neck brace. The brace will sit on top of the spine and chest protectors making it too high. I know people have modified this armour by removing the top section of the spine protector and completely removing the chest plate.
  • Just my 2p for you, I ride with knee and shin armour and a full face and leave it at that purely because I find them they awkward and uncomfortable. My mate has one of the 661 suits (not sure which one) and she loves it. To me it just looks really bulky and awkward.

I have been looking at getting something that is like a core protector (I know 661 did/do one) without the elbow and forearm protection which is the bit I find awkward, dont know if that appeals to you.

I have got a mates old MX armour too but never use it for the bulk reasons too (being MX it is really bulky).

Must admit everytime I ride Egypt I get to the bottom wishing I had at least a back protector!
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • rockmonkeysc
    If you find the 661 armour bulky it might be worth trying Troy Lee or Alpinestars.
  • OK cheers, I'll look into that. Got a Mega AM to build up though so funds are quite limited at the moment!

Do you ever wear a neck brace yourself?
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • That's the latest version of my armour. It's not the best but it work, is comfortable and fits me well.
    It may not be right for you because im pretty sure it's not compatible with your neck brace. The brace will sit on top of the spine and chest protectors making it too high. I know people have modified this armour by removing the top section of the spine protector and completely removing the chest plate.

This right here is why I love forums!!!! Awesome advise bud thanks, I'm seriouly considering this or the core suit I posted up earlier and if need be I'll do just that and take out the chest and top spine plates so I can use the brace. I'm along the lines of thinking I've survived broken ribs before but a broken neck is another story. What is the sizing like on the 661 gear?

trigger take a look at the link in my 2nd post here as I was thinking a very similar thing. I really want my back, neck and even some what my shoulders protected pretty much all the time but I don't always need elbows coverd. I've not even made it past Proper job yet and I'm looking at this let alone Egypt :lol:

I'm a dad to 4 so as much as I want to go out and push my limits I also want to be as safe as possible whilst doing it. I've enquierd about a skills course up at Gawton so hopefully that'll come through and help.
  • Cheers Alex must have missed that link earlier, that is the sort of thing I'm thinking of.

Proper Job is an awesome track, so much fun, the one I spend most of my time on over there probably!

Last time I was there I was told by the uplift driver that they are going to build another track with the grade being somewhere between Super-Tavi and Proper Job so that would be cool. No idea when it might happen though.

I've been thinking about one of those skills courses too so would be interested to hear how it all goes for you if that's not too nosy!
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,453
    661 Evo pressure suit for me.

I've only been doing DH for a couple of years and it's saved me from A&E or a shortened day out a few times, money well spent. It can feel quite bulky but I don't notice that once I'm riding. Go for the full suit IMO.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • It just looks perfect, I like the idea of chucking my elbow pads in the car for when s##t gets real and just have the core and knee pads on all day. On the whole neck brace front, the more people I speak to who use them the more it is I want one. Chatting to a guy that had an over the bars and basically head butted a tree square on and he said he could feel the brace displacing the force through his body :shock:

Funnily enough I was chatting to Kano (uplift driver) on Suday and he mentioned the new track at Gawton. Think he said it'll be between HSD and Proper job though but I might be mistaken, if you check out the racing page on their website it says something about a new line being put in for the Summer Jam that will be made permanent afterwards so heres hoping we won't have to wait to long :)

Stevo just to pick your brains, why would you chose the full suit over the core version?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo just to pick your brains, why would you chose the full suit over the core version?
    Because if I'd only had the core saver I would have no elbows left by now :)

Apart from the fact that it's easier just to pull one suit on then you've got your whole upper body covered apart from your head, IMO unless you're a riding god then wear as much protection as you're comfortable with. I've taken knocks on a lot of parts of my body and if not for armour it would have hurt. A lot. I usually do Cwmcarn which is quite rocky and gravelly in parts and it sometimes doesn't take much to end your day.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    My 2p.

As your are going to be using a Brace you really need to try and find some you can try with both the brace and the helmet on. Or really read the returns policies.

I have a Sinisalo "jacket" as it was the one I tried that did not feel like it was trying to strangle me. BUT braces were not about when I bought it. Or were just coming out. And was riding World Cup tracks and other stuff in Sweden.

Don't forget the Motor bike shops.

Also if buying again it would be a jacket again. If I felt I also needed a seperate back protector I would also buy one of them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I am a cross country only wuss but just wondered if ski / snowboard stuff would be suitable.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I used to use a 661 full pressure suit, good, but very bulky. Now have the tld shock doctor full suit and I love it, you literally forget you have it on. Cant say it would protect as good as the hard shell types, but sure itll be a damn site better than no armour.
  • Good to see so many that actually use it, I was expecting a lot of grief telling me to ride better and fall less and as much as those suggestions would be great in an ideal world, I crash simple as :lol:

I'm going to try on as many as I possibly can once I've picked up my neck brace to see which fit and which ones can be modified to suit. What's everyone's experiences of suits in the summer? Good weight loss suit I suppose :lol:
  • Stevo_666
    Armour in summer is a bit sweaty but not worth chancing it and going without IMO. Anyhow that's what uplifts are for :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    They can get a bit warm in summer but I can manage a full day pushing up without too much discomfort. Taking it off at the end of the day is nice though!
    Too many of my friends have had spinal injuries from downhill accidents for me to ride without protection.
    The problem with downhill is that as your riding improves you don't crash less, you just crash faster and harder.