Club advice

2»

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    The worst case scenarios are that you get dropped, or that it is far too slow. If it's far too slow then you can bugger off and do your own thing, and if you get dropped then you bugger off and do your own thing.

Just so long as you read up on how to ride safely/courteously in a bunch, you'll be fine.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Jim C
    Jim C Posts: 333
    To the op. Come out on a sat run. 9am from the old Palm Court, allestree(A6 A38 junction). 40mile pretty standard route every week. Regroups at top of all hills. Cafe stop at Crich or duffield. Its rolling terrain. Make yourself known- ask for Jim, although they're all pretty friendly. U won't get left behind. Promise
    jc
  • Jim C
    Ps don't fret about keeping up, etiquette, group riding, offending anyone, not having the right kit. U ll soon get in the swing of things. Bring a spare tube and a couple of quid for the cafe - which is often near the end and you'll be fine
    jc
  • hanhamreds
    hanhamreds Posts: 100
    I'm thinking about going out with a club for a ride next week, thing is I have a CX bike (boardman CX Team 2014), would that be fine?
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    Hi Hanhamreds,

I did the Team MK C group on my Boardman CX comp today with 28mm gatorskins fitted, rode approx 90km. The way I look at it is that putting in those distances on a bike that heavy means in the summer on the best bike will be a blast!
  • hanhamreds
    Well I've done one 50 miler, a couple of 40's and several 30's etc.... All on the stock tyres.

Got 25mm Gators on order - I should be flying when they come in!

I'm trying to convince the Mrs I need a summer bike, I want the Cube agree GTC pro 2013, only £929 right now.
  • Jim C wrote:
    Ps don't fret about keeping up, etiquette, group riding, offending anyone, not having the right kit. U ll soon get in the swing of things. Bring a spare tube and a couple of quid for the cafe - which is often near the end and you'll be fine

Thanks mate, sounds good.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    hanhamreds wrote:
    I'm thinking about going out with a club for a ride next week, thing is I have a CX bike (boardman CX Team 2014), would that be fine?

Depends on the club really. But at very least you should put some road slicks on it (assuming it's a road club of course)
  • madtam
    madtam Posts: 141
    I am running 32mm tyres on my Tricross, since these came on the bike originally.
    At +50 years I am not in the first flush of youth but do find the B group ride a little slow and a little short. The C group ride is about the right distance but does tend to be a bit faster then I would like, on the uphills anyway. With the extra weight of both the bike and myself I find I have no problem on the downhills.
    I have taken the pannier rack off but still have the full guards (with extra long flap) and the lights and small saddlebag (tools, tube, lock and waterproof) from the commute.
    Go out with the club and see how it goes, if they leave you or treat you with contempt then it might not be the best club to join.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    madtam wrote:
    I am running 32mm tyres on my Tricross, since these came on the bike originally.
    Swap them for some 25mm slicks and you'll pick up pace nicely with no extra effort ... :)

I have 32mm slicks on my tricross atm and they're heavy ... once the cold weather is done with I'll put 23mm or 25mm tyres back on and the resulting cruising speed won't be dissimilar to my road bikes.
  • hanhamreds
    Bit ironic that the day my gators arrived I got my first puncture using my Rapid robs.
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Bit ironic that the day my gators arrived I got my first puncture using my Rapid robs.

Panaracer Race Type D Evo 2 FTW :D

Would think that Cube is a decent option for an "only" road bike, especially at that price. And at the moment you're probably doing what everyone else is - that is, using their heavier winter bikes to build up strength and endurance, and you'll get respect for it. Nothing worse than beasting everyone through the winter on the best equipment you've got only to find you've not actually been working at all and then they get their best bikes out having done bucket sessions galore, and drop you as soon as the weather turns - which on current form might just be this weekend :D

Which is exactly why my heavy wheels are staying for good on my winter bike as and when I get round to purchasing my new machine - which will get the Ksyrium Elite treatment..........
  • ianspeare
    ianspeare Posts: 110
    You'll push yourself in ways you wouldn't solo when group riding, as well as the tips & banter you'll pick up on the way
  • Jim C
    To the op. Sorry not the Merc sat club run- I was nearly 10minutes late to the start- which usually woodnt be a problem. A couple of non regulars were out and eager to leave- so the group rolled out a few minutes before the usual 9.10am. So I spent 20 miles chasing the group down. Got you in sight on Windley, maybe a minute behind. Then never saw the group again. Not how the Sat ride normally works. Apologies.
    I ll be out on Sat 16th and will be happy to roll at a pace to suit all
    jc
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    Joining a cycling club (Kingston Wheelers) was one of the best things I ever did. Met a great bunch of people and built up a repertoire of great routes from the bog standard 35 mile '2 hills' or 50 mile "fast 'n' flat" Windsor run to punishing 70-milers with 2000 odd metres of climbing.

A good club will have a good selection of rides on offer catering for most abilities. You need a certain level of fitness, but you certainly shouldn't have to be capable of holding a 17-18mpg average to keep up.

Group riding doesn't come naturally to everyone, but provided your group communicates potholes and hazards it should be a relaxing experience.