Colnago Master Carbon

Velonutter
Velonutter Posts: 2,437
edited March 2014 in Your road bikes
I have for the last 3 or 4 years ridden my Kinesis GranFondo (Soon for sale) for my winter steed, it was very comfortable and with full mudguards on did exactly what I wanted, but that is it, it did nothing more and having been spoilt with my Colnago Saroni Master last year I felt I was missing out, but it would have been cruel to ride my Mint Saronni during the rubbish wet weather, so when a Colnago Master Carbon came up on Fleebay at an exceptional price, I couldn't resist it, as I figured that having Carbon rather than Chrome would wear better through the winter rubbish.

I had bought the previous year a pair of the SKS Long Mudguards and decided that these would be perfect on this frame. I built the bike up in September and have done about 600 miles on it so far.

It is every bit as comfortable as my other Master, but just a tadge more reactive, probably down to the carbon rear triangle and carbon front forks, it is not quite as smooth as the all steel Saroni, but it is perfect to replace my winter steed and ride something of style

Full Spec of the Bike is as follows:-

2002-2004 Colnago Master Carbon 54cm
Campagnolo Record Groupset
Campagnolo Neutron Ultra Wheels
Fizik Kurve Chameleon Saddle
3T Ergsum LTD Bars (Want to change to ErgoNova)
3T ARX LTD 100mm Stem (Slightly shorter for winter comfort)
Fortezza TriComp Tyres
Campag Record Bottle Cages
Campag Record Seatpost
Campag Record Headset
Look Blade 16nm Pedals
Fizik Classic White Bar Tape.

colnago_master_carbon_a.jpg
colnago_master_carbon_b.jpg

Comments

• bontie
    bontie Posts: 177
    That is pure class.
    You should use the M10 as a winter hack and sell this on :D

Quick question though. I have a C40 in same size, what tires do you use as there is no way I could fit raceblades long, as their is virtually no clearance with 23mm Continental tyres.
  • Velonutter
    Cheers for the comments.

I use standard 23's and it was close until I took the wheels out and pushed the fasteners up as tight as possible under the brakes, now they clear perfectly. I'm running Fortezza TriComps as they were virtually new on a pair of wheels that I bought and after about 700 miles (after getting in 140 last week :-) )are still in excellent condition. I had some Lithion 2's on previously and they were fine as well.

The clearances look very similar to what I had on my C40.
  • matig0l
    matig0l Posts: 37
    Brilliant job. Looks the dog's danglies.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    VN, you next thread should just be:

Hi folks, I'm Colnagonutter, here's some photos of just a few of my bikes: http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... ery-40208/

Ah the PR01 or 02 or whatever PR it is, a very handsome colour scheme if there ever was one. 2 observations:

- you could easily ride a 55 to save yourself some spacers and to not have you saddle jammed so far back, but I suspect you know this,

- the bike is gorgeous, but b/c it's your trainer you seem to have everything bar the kitchen sink zip-tied to her. She is very 'adorned'. I'm sure she'd love to run naked one sunny summer day.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Velonutter
    FJ, as I have said many times before, Adrian Timmis completed my bike fit, the bike is comfortable and fits me perfectly, I'm not clever enough to argue with Adrian Timmis or qualified. I'm not super flexible like you probably are, I'm just an average guy who rides a bike, sometimes well, sometimes bad!

If I had a 55cm frame then the saddle would be too low in the frame and the top tube length too long, perhaps I have an odd shaped body?

Having completed so many century rides, the settings suit me fine. I appreciate what your saying about what looks nice, but I have to be practical and go for what is comfortable.

As for what the bike is adorned with, it's a winter bike, so it needs mudguards, I never purchased this with the intent of riding this on nice summer days, I have far more worthy bikes for that. It has two bottle cages and a rear light clamp as I ride/train at night, it has a clip for my saddle bag, and a cadence sensor and Garmin mount, so can't really see what you mean by "everything bar the kitchen sink zip-tied to her" there are only two zip ties on the whole bike for the Garmnin Sensor, I even have a magnet hidden inside the pedal spindle for the sensor to avoid zip ties.

It's a nice comfortable bike for riding through probably 4-5 months of the year.