Stem for a Giant Anthem

JodyP
JodyP Posts: 193
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Good Afternoon Peeps,

I need some help getting the right stem for a Anthem X2 (2012my). It has Giants tapered steerer and a standard stem which is 80mm but I could do with a shorter one around 40mm. Read a few bits on here that it has to be Giant specific but I can't find a shorter one.

There are a few normal stems that I like the looks of but they are all 1/8th.

Any ideas?

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Is it overdrive2 or just overdrive? anthem X1 has OD2 as an upgrade so I think you are still 1 1/8.

If in doubt whip the stem off and measure.

If you can find the giant connect od2 stem it comes with a shim for both versions of stem. The contact od2 costs a fortune.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • JodyP
    :? I have been out of the saddle for a decade. I have no idea what OD system is on it but I have posted the link below if its any use?

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... ifications
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    overdrive is giant terminology, it uses a standard tapered steerer

Overdrive 2 has a large ( 1 1/4) steerer tube.

You'll be fine with a 1 1/8 stem.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • JodyP
    I am going to measure the steerer tonight and make sure.

Looking at a Race Face Respond. Anybody use one of these or have other recommendations?
  • Most giants say it at the bottom of the neck near the top of the forks, I think the chapat my LBS said overdrive 2 was new for 2014 bikes
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    KevChallis wrote:
    Most giants say it at the bottom of the neck near the top of the forks, I think the chapat my LBS said overdrive 2 was new for 2014 bikes

They started using it in 2012 on some models. Its a stupid idea, that combined with a rubbish fork put me off buying a 2014 Trance.
  • KevChallis wrote:
    Most giants say it at the bottom of the neck near the top of the forks, I think the chapat my LBS said overdrive 2 was new for 2014 bikes

They started using it in 2012 on some models. Its a stupid idea, that combined with a rubbish fork put me off buying a 2014 Trance.

Thanks for the info, thankfully my reign 2 has a normal size steerer!! Good job, just ordered a 40mm stem haha
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • JodyP
    Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to get another stem ordered shortly :D
  • JodyP
    KevChallis wrote:
    Thanks for the info, thankfully my reign 2 has a normal size steerer!! Good job, just ordered a 40mm stem haha

Which stem did you order?