Wiggo to ride Glasgow 2014 and Vuelta

2»

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    sjmclean wrote:

Plus success is quantifiable based on past achievements ... Olympic gold means less if you can't back that up by being the WC, especially in a discipline like TT where it's you versus the road, it comes off as a lucky win...

Wait, what?

Nonsense.

You would think all the other Gold medals would back him up a bit...

Track and Olympic cycling is intrinsically intertwined ... not so with road racing and Olympic gold carries nowhere near the cache of wearing the rainbow stripes on the road ...

Track racing has sporadic links with road racing but is really just what you do before you get a real job in the peloton ...

Samu Sanchez might disagree there...
  • Gold shoes vs rainbow on your jersey? Easy choice for most I'd reckon ...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Gold shoes vs rainbow on your jersey? Easy choice for most I'd reckon ...

Yeah but we're not talking about the pride of it here, we're discussing you saying it was a fluke Wiggins won gold in the TT. I'm saying it is not because he has other olympic medals.

Bettini combined both rather neatly
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Bettini combined both rather neatly

Agreed ... and an example of emphatically showing you were a champion ... Oh, go on ... True Champion ...
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    sjmclean wrote:

Plus success is quantifiable based on past achievements ... Olympic gold means less if you can't back that up by being the WC, especially in a discipline like TT where it's you versus the road, it comes off as a lucky win...

Wait, what?

Nonsense.

You would think all the other Gold medals would back him up a bit...

Ha Ha, what a joke. Trollfest.
  • Yeh, Mike ... Far be it for me to put emphasis on pro racing in the pro race forum ...

If you have something constructive to add edit your post, otherwise don't waste all our time ...
  • If my luck brought me a Tour De France and an Olympic Gold to make me the Briton with the most Olympic medals of all time, I think I'd be pretty pleased with my luck over the last decade or more.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • If my luck brought me a Tour De France and an Olympic Gold to make me the Briton with the most Olympic medals of all time, I think I'd be pretty pleased with my luck over the last decade or more.

The track medals are nothing to do with road success ... Anyone can see how successful he was in that arena ...

But winning one GT doesn't make him great, certainly not to the hype this board gives him ... Same with Olympic Gold ... Yes it was a road medal, but he hasn't backed this up with the WCTT which is his opportunity to show he is THE best, not just on one day ... Fab & Tony have shown they have what it takes to be the best tester ... Wiggins has yet to prove that, he's currently a letter short ...
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    I think that attacking the stature of the first Brit to win the Tour - especially when said certified legend has to wind himself up seemingly so much more than most to perform - in the Pro Race Forum is a bit pathetic.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Macaloon wrote:
    I think that attacking the stature of the first Brit to win the Tour - especially when said certified legend has to wind himself up seemingly so much more than most to perform - in the Pro Race Forum is a bit pathetic.

I said last year that if he won the Giro he would have earned my respect ... We know how that ended up ... Of course, he doesn't want/need my respect ... Same as I don't want/need yours to enjoy the forum ...
  • Macaloon wrote:

I said last year that if he won the Giro he would have earned my respect ... We know how that ended up ... Of course, he doesn't want/need my respect ... Same as I don't want/need yours to enjoy the forum ...

Ang on? Winning only one grand tour doesn't get your respect? Tough crowd!

How do you sleep at night, having never even ridden one?

@gietvangent
  • Like someone who is only a recreational cyclist and accepts pro racing is just some folks you don't actually know on the telly ... Like most tv, some characters are more likeable than others ...

Same way I can like/dislike certain music without ever feeling the need to have a number one single ...
  • Macaloon

That's a bit extreme, too. I've got no problems with your extreme dislike of his many foibles. But since when has winning a Grand Tour not been an awesome achievement. Did you disagree with the artistic impression scores?
  • Macaloon wrote:

That's a bit extreme, too. I've got no problems with your extreme dislike of his many foibles. But since when has winning a Grand Tour not been an awesome achievement. Did you disagree with the artistic impression scores?

Given many of the recent GT winners, how their races were won, and the stories surrounding those riders and wins, winning a GT isn't all it's cracked up to be ... Repeating the feat, and keeping in the news for the right reasons ... That's impressive ...
  • Macaloon
    Fair enough. My standards are a fair bit lower with epic starting at winning a stage/minor classic.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Macaloon wrote:

Given many of the recent GT winners, how their races were won, and the stories surrounding those riders and wins, winning a GT isn't all it's cracked up to be ... Repeating the feat, and keeping in the news for the right reasons ... That's impressive ...

Mines definitely starts at completing a grand tour...
  • sjmclean wrote:

Mines definitely starts at completing a grand tour...

Adam Hansen's 7 in a row certainly gets my vote ... As does anyone completing all 3 in a year ...

Anyone know of any other recent GT streaks (not the spectator kind) ... Sorry off topic ...