Colnago M10 MABB

Velonutter
Velonutter Posts: 2,437
edited February 2014 in Your road bikes
After all the hassle I had with my Cervelo R5's, I vowed never to buy another Cervelo, but what could I replace it with?

I decided that I like the Colnago's so much that I would buy the new M10 and originally wanted it in White and Red as it would have been different than what I already had, however when a brand new frame came up on fleabay, and had never been built and with an uncut steerer it would have been stupid to ignore even though it wasn't in the colour I wanted, the MABB proved really quite lovely.

Everyone seems to go with a stealth version look with Matt black frames and I didn't want to look like everyone else, so I went with a black and white theme (apart from the rails on the saddle :cry: ).

I had a spare Campag Record EPS groupset that I had taken off my Colango C59 Europcar and as I love the EPS groupset, I decided to keep the bike electronic, the new M10's are dual so your can fit manual or electronic.

As I mentioned the bike was to replace my Cervelo R5's so would be used a lot more than my other Colnago's so I fitted my Campag Bullet Ultra's with Aluminium brake surfaces running clinchers.

Riding the bike it felt snappier than my C59's, it was a reasonably light coming in at about 7.3kg with pedals and bottle cages, the wheels weigh 1590g, I could run lighter but full carbon wouldn't have been suitable taking into consideration some of the roads I ride on.

Full Spec of the Bike is as follows:-

2013 Colnago M10 Size 50s (54cm Trad equiv.)
Campagnolo Record EPS Groupset
Campagnolo Bullet Ultra Wheels
Fizik Kurve Chameleon Saddle
3T Ergnova LTD Bars
3T ARX LTD 110mm Stem
Michelin Pro 4 Tyres
Look Blade 16nm Pedals
Fizik Classic White BAr Tape.

The M10 is made in the Giant Factory under strict Colnago standards and similarly like the CX-1 that I had previously, the quality of build is beautiful, every bit as good as my C59's which are built in Italy, if I hadn't known any better then it would be impossible to tell.

colnago_m10a.jpg
colnago_m10b.jpg

Comments

• Loving it, nice job.
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN
  • Velonutter wrote:
    After all the hassle I had with my Cervelo R5's, I vowed never to buy another Cervelo, but what could I replace it with?

I decided that I like the Colnago's so much that I would buy the new M10 and originally wanted it in White and Red as it would have been different than what I already had, however when a brand new frame came up on fleabay, and had never been built and with an uncut steerer it would have been stupid to ignore even though it wasn't in the colour I wanted, the MABB proved really quite lovely.

Everyone seems to go with a stealth version look with Matt black frames and I didn't want to look like everyone else, so I went with a black and white theme (apart from the rails on the saddle :cry: ).

I had a spare Campag Record EPS groupset that I had taken off my Colango C59 Europcar and as I love the EPS groupset, I decided to keep the bike electronic, the new M10's are dual so your can fit manual or electronic.

As I mentioned the bike was to replace my Cervelo R5's so would be used a lot more than my other Colnago's so I fitted my Campag Bullet Ultra's with Aluminium brake surfaces running clinchers.

Riding the bike it felt snappier than my C59's, it was a reasonably light coming in at about 7.3kg with pedals and bottle cages, the wheels weigh 1590g, I could run lighter but full carbon wouldn't have been suitable taking into consideration some of the roads I ride on.

Full Spec of the Bike is as follows:-

2013 Colnago M10 Size 50s (54cm Trad equiv.)
    Campagnolo Record EPS Groupset
    Campagnolo Bullet Ultra Wheels
    Fizik Kurve Chameleon Saddle
    3T Ergnova LTD Bars
    3T ARX LTD 110mm Stem
    Michelin Pro 4 Tyres
    Look Blade 16nm Pedals
    Fizik Classic White BAr Tape.

The M10 is made in the Giant Factory under strict Colnago standards and similarly like the CX-1 that I had previously, the quality of build is beautiful, every bit as good as my C59's which are built in Italy, if I hadn't known any better then it would be impossible to tell.

colnago_m10a.jpg
    colnago_m10b.jpg

Lovely bike. My LBS does both Cervelo and Colnago and are always harping on about Cervelo quality. What sort of issues did you have with the R5, I would love to know so I can pee on their parade when they keep banging on about how inferior my Ribble frame is to any Cervelo!
  • Velonutter
    Cheers Camcycle1974 and Markjaspi, I had loads of issues, missing, paint, missing lacquer, bottle cages not aligned correctly (see viewtopic.php?t=12912985), poor customer service and the replacement frame was a pile of pooh, very poorly finished, just ask anyone about the number of warranty issues Cervelo have to deal with, probably the main reason that Madison dropped the distribution of Cervelo Frames.
  • Wow. For a "premium" brand that's pretty shoddy. No such worries with the Colnago though. Now, that is a bike I would pay a premium for. C59 if money were no object. My local also does Parlee. One can dream.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    From a Colnago owner - Parlee is the bike to dream about..but both are awesome.
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    That's luurverly;must admit a Colnago would be one of the few to tempt me away from the Ridley Fenix I'm currently lusting after.

Just a thought,;as the saddle has the red rails,could you not pick up on it with say red tape and some red cages?
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • Velonutter
    @ OldBazza I've only changed the saddle a few days ago, and to be truthful once you are on the bike you don't see it anyway, so a little thing like that isn't going to worry me.

@Evil Laugh Parlee has never really done it for me, I prefer some Italian Heritage, so I could be tempted with a Scapin which are truly beautiful bikes.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Interesting to see the Parlee comments. I have a Z5 and a C59 and personally prefer the c59. The Parlee is a good frame but it has a more defined sloping top tube, that doesn't work as well for me. The Parlee also has the pf30 BB and I much prefer the BSA on the C59, however I understand the C60 will move over to a press fit bottom bracket.
  • Nice collection there. Must be a hard choice on which one to ride? I guess Parlee custom would be the ultimate but the price is a major stumbling block. There is something about the Italian bikes that does stand out from the crowd even if the majority are now built in the Far East like everything else. At the top end there are some truly stunning machines. I had a chance to see the 60th anniversary De Rosa's at the NEC and they were beautiful.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    It depends if you want to look at your bike or ride it. The ride on a Parlee is beyond the others. Handling is soooo precise, it's stiffer than the c59 and just as comfy.

The scapin etika is no better than the c59. Very similar ride but finish nowhere near as nice.

I love my c59 but I'd grab the parlee if the house was burning down.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Lovely, lovely bike.

Velonutter, I take the same size Colnago as you, 50s. If you ever want to sell a M10 or C59, then please, please give me first refusal!
  • Velonutter
    Cheers Proto, I very much doubt they will ever be sold, remember N+1 :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:
  • Mccaria
    EL,

I'm surprised you say the Parlee is stiffer than the C59. I haven't seen any figures, but from riding several thousand miles on both frames, with very similar set ups, I don't feel the Z5 to be as stiff as the C59. The main issue I have with the Z5 is quite esoteric - when I descend I like to anchor my knees against the top tube and the steeper slope on the Z5 means my knees meet above the TT ! It's just a riding style, but I find it really disconcerting on long descents.

Anyway didn't mean to thread jack, just looked in because I like to see what Velonutter is up to with his collection of Colnagos, despite his obsession with putting Campagnolo onto every frame.
  • Velonutter
    Mccaria wrote:
    .....Anyway didn't mean to thread jack, just looked in because I like to see what Velonutter is up to with his collection of Colnagos, despite his obsession with putting Campagnolo onto every frame.

PMSL, CAMPAG rules...OK :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:

Remember I have the Tat to go with it!
  • Mccaria
    That tat !

Vive la difference
  • Velonutter
    cantgoslo_tat_sml.jpg

Oui vive la différence, Campag is that superior it has to be different :shock: 8) :roll: :mrgreen:
  • Mccaria
    One day Velo we will have to get you out on a ride using 9070 - then you'll be hooked.

It's a bit like crack cocaine, just try it, one little ride, that's all it takes.....

I now seem to be going out of my way to buy Italian made, or Italian designed frames, just to equip them with Shimano :P
  • Velonutter
    Mccaria wrote:
    One day Velo we will have to get you out on a ride using 9070 - then you'll be hooked.

It's a bit like crack cocaine, just try it, one little ride, that's all it takes.....

I now seem to be going out of my way to buy Italian made, or Italian designed frames, just to equip them with Shimano :P

I've ridden Shim and Shame and although very smooth it has no soul :roll: :mrgreen: