First Carbon

craiggreg89
craiggreg89 Posts: 53
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all, i have been biking for the last year and put a fair few miles in over winter on my current bike.

I seem to be spending more and more time out on the bike, with a few charity rides coming up in the summer.

I have been looking at getting a fairly decent summer bike and keeping my current Giant SCR 2 that has had a good few upgrades as a winter bike.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube ... prod111922

I am around that price tag and thought this would be a good first carbon?

What do others think and do you have any other bikes in this budget you could link me to?

Cheers

Comments

• Take a look at the Planet X carbon; a bit more but you get Ultegra 10 speed instead of Tiagra.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    The link shows as a Triple chainset, do want/need a Triple chainset?
  • my current bike has a triple and i don't mind it so thought about just staying with a triple?

Does it make any difference or just personal preference?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    my current bike has a triple and i don't mind it so thought about just staying with a triple?

Personal preference. I have a triple on my wet / winter bike and a standard double on my summer bike. In practice I stay in the 39 ring most of the time on both.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    keef66 wrote:
    my current bike has a triple and i don't mind it so thought about just staying with a triple?

Personal preference. I have a triple on my wet / winter bike and a standard double on my summer bike. In practice I stay in the 39 ring most of the time on both.

You stay in the 39 ring most of the time ? Are you not spinning out lots ?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    cougie wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

You stay in the 39 ring most of the time ? Are you not spinning out lots ?

No, I'm generally what is known in the trade as pootling. I'm 56 with dodgy knees and a long history of being a rubbish cyclist :D Long downhills are quite scarce round here. There's a couple of stretches where it's worth popping it into the big ring, and a few times with the recent gale force tailwinds I've been able to pretend I'm Wiggo winning the Olympic time trial. But I'd say yes, 90% of my time I'm just happy pottering around on the 39 chainring and using the whole 12-25 cassette. It is also possible that I'm just too lazy to bother with too many front changes.
  • I guess I'm the same except spending the majority of time in the 50T big ring. Only going into the little ring for proper climbs. Of course this means being cross chained a good amount of time!