edited February 2014 in Commuting chat
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-26336618

Not even a sane person would try this i hope :shock:
Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1

Comments

• Motorway hard shoulder is probably a reasonably safe place to cycle ;). But agreed, sat nav or no sat nav, you have to pass many signs before you get to the motorway so there's no excuse.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596

The insane ones would have a blast though!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    His Strava KOMs should remain safe indefinitely! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Motorway hard shoulder is probably a reasonably safe place to cycle ;). But agreed, sat nav or no sat nav, you have to pass many signs before you get to the motorway so there's no excuse.

I know you are joking but I can confirm that the hard shoulder is not a nice place to be. Many years ago I was driving back late from my sisters house up the M23 with my wife and two young (at the time) sons in the back when I got a puncture.

I had no choice but to change the wheel which was on the driver side of the vehicle (I always forget if that is near or off-side) but anyways I was changing the tyre in the dark whilst side on to the traffic with trucks and cars screaming by about 6 inches from my back.

Terrifying.

EDIT: I just remembered, it was a Mark II Cortina 1600 Super somethnig like this

Ford_Cortina_1600E_1599cc_Oct_1970.JPG
    FCN = 4
  • Changing a wheel on the motorway isn't a good idea anyway. I believe the official advice is to call for assistance to get you off the motorway and *then* change the wheel.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I ended up on the motorway in France on the way to Paris.

We were into the final third of our L2P24 ride with 50-60miles left to Paris. I was feeling strong so in a moment of stupidness decided to breakway leaving the other 15 riders and the suport vehicle with all my gear in it behind! Stupid I know.

I built up a good lead and was simply following the main A road towards Paris. Then the rain came, now stupidly I was only in jersey and shorts so was now drenched. Then the A road without warning joined a motoway and with no sign posts I simply continued on. At first I didnt realised why all the cars were honking and shouting at me as they drove past. Picture this a lone stranded cyclist in summer gear in pretty torential rain standing on the hard shoulder and trying to get back to the junction as safely as possible.

I tried asking directions on the junction but couldnt understand any French so was pretty much lost. The rain stopped and now I was beginning to get cold. After about 10 mins the bunch came around the corner all just as lost as I was! Lucky they did otherwise I would have been royally lost!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,462
    When I lived up in sheffield I had my brakes fail on the M1 and needed recovering back to Preston. Chatting to the driver on the way back, he told me about a colleague who'd been loading a car onto the back of his truck on the hard shoulder a few months earlier and someone drove into the back of the car, crushing him between the car and truck. That was a recovery truck with yellow strobe lights etc. I don't at all fancy spending any time on the hard shoulder if at all avoidable, I'd rather crawl to the next junction or services and risk knackering the tyre.
  • monkimark wrote:
    When I lived up in sheffield I had my brakes fail on the M1 and needed recovering back to Preston. Chatting to the driver on the way back, he told me about a colleague who'd been loading a car onto the back of his truck on the hard shoulder a few months earlier and someone drove into the back of the car, crushing him between the car and truck. That was a recovery truck with yellow strobe lights etc. I don't at all fancy spending any time on the hard shoulder if at all avoidable, I'd rather crawl to the next junction or services and risk knackering the tyre.

It's all too common on a road such as a motorway for drivers just not to be paying attention, or be fiddling with their radio, looking at the side of the road etc, because most of the time driving on a motorway is a mind numbingly boring experience.

There's been a few times I've followed lorries down the A1(M) which has been swerving half into the hard shoulder.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812

Did you really mean that or 'not even an insane person' or 'no sane person''?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Satnavs & apps are substitutes for maps, not brains.

In the US, cyclists are allowed to ride on the hard shoulders of some inter-states. However, the speed limit on inter-states is lower than on our motorways, and rules for riders coming up to off-ramps must already be in place.

As hard shoulders in this country are being adopted for managed motorway use, there are a growing number of incidents where drivers do not know when they are or when they are not allowed to use the hard shoulders.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Rolf F wrote:

You haven't checked the common sense of the average Strava user when they can smell a possible KoM have you?
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    (Motor)cycling home on the weekend a couple of weeks ago I passed a cyclist on the A40/Westway/Marylebone-flyover; clearly not a newbie - she was in Team-Something lycra - but very silly to be there! The hard-shoulder was blocked off for one long stretch, which must have been sphincter-tightening...
  • MTB-Idle wrote:

EDIT: I just remembered, it was a Mark II Cortina 1600 Super somethnig like this

Ford_Cortina_1600E_1599cc_Oct_1970.JPG

Cortina 1600E, think it's a series 2 (bucket seats and the clocks were set in the dash rather than in a raised pod on top). God I loved my 1600E.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Pross wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

You haven't checked the common sense of the average Strava user when they can smell a possible KoM have you?

Of course, it would be irresponsible to suggest that some fun might be had by taking a car and a GPS unit onto a quiet stretch of motorway in the early hours and just cruising at 20mph between two closely positioned junctions.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Saw two incidents on Saturday of people walking on the carriageway of a dual carriageway with their backs to the traffic. I would have called the police but I was driving.