Cycle to Work schemes etc

alextwilson
alextwilson Posts: 21
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello all. Very much a newbie looking at getting into MTB etc and after a bike.

My employer is currently registered on the Evans Ride 2 Work scheme which if I'm honest isn't very appealing looking through their limited stuff within my budget. Are there any rules/legislations in place preventing the employer from being registered on two schemes?

And finally, a bike itself. Budget of £450 maximum. I'm guessing reading a few reviews going with one of the Carrera's is a safe bet for a starter? I live in London but am looking at eventually getting out and about in the leafier parts.

Cheers everybody!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    An employer can use as many scheme providers as they like or run their own scheme in house to the HMRC rules. All the scheme providers do is take the 'paperwork' load off the employer (for a price - usually paid by the employee getting the bike!).

For £450, carrera's, hoodoo's or the Calibre two.two (go outdoors). Evans Pinnacles aren't bad but their webiste is down right now, so can't check!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The tax amount you're going to save on a £450 bike isn't very much, have you looked for a 2013 model bike, you could actually save more.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    You wont be able to get a carrera etc they are halfords bikes your scheme is through evans but they do sell other bikes and their pinnacle range is very good you get a lot better spec than mainstream brands.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    This looks alright or maybe the Pinnacle Jarrah: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sar ... e-ec043446
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Got work to sign up the Halfords scheme, so there's a little more on offer.
  • ricgreen
    ricgreen Posts: 103
    passout wrote:
    This looks alright or maybe the Pinnacle Jarrah: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sar ... e-ec043446

I dont think bikes that have been reduced to a sale price will be allowed to be purchased at sale price.
    Eg. The shop owner would have to put the bike price back to its original price if buying thru the cycle to work scheme.
  • passout
    ricgreen wrote:
    passout wrote:

I dont think bikes that have been reduced to a sale price will be allowed to be purchased at sale price.
    Eg. The shop owner would have to put the bike price back to its original price if buying thru the cycle to work scheme.

Might be worth checking though as sometimes they just add 10% to sales bikes (if more than 10% reduction) eg Winstanleys and others will take cyclesheme on sales bikes eg Planet X (although I think there is a surcharge for using the scheme anyway). There's a bit of variety on this point. Not sure about Evans.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • ricgreen
    ricgreen Posts: 103
    Got work to sign up the Halfords scheme, so there's a little more on offer.

If it were me, I would buy the voodoo hoodoo from halfords around £450,
    Gets good reviews.
  • Looking at bikes under £500, you would probably save more on getting a previous year model, which seem to at least 30% off rather than a cycle scheme. Lot less hassle as well.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Sale prices at Evans are honoured on the Cycle 2 Work scheme. I'd have thought others would be the same.
  • passout
    Guanajuato wrote:
    Sale prices at Evans are honoured on the Cycle 2 Work scheme. I'd have thought others would be the same.

Good to know - it seems to vary a great deal between retailers. I bought an ex demo MTB of On One a few years back on cyclescheme - saved a fortune. Recently got a bike with 40% off in a sale on cyclescheme through Winstanleys too :D
  • passout
    Looking at bikes under £500, you would probably save more on getting a previous year model, which seem to at least 30% off rather than a cycle scheme. Lot less hassle as well.

Aim for both.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    passout wrote:
    Guanajuato wrote:
    Sale prices at Evans are honoured on the Cycle 2 Work scheme. I'd have thought others would be the same.

Good to know - it seems to vary a great deal between retailers. I bought an ex demo MTB of On One a few years back on cyclescheme - saved a fortune. Recently got a bike with 40% off in a sale on cyclescheme through Winstanleys too :D

I checked with two other retailers a couple of years ago and neither would offer cycle schemes on already discounted bikes. It's like taking another 10% off for them.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    But in this case it's Evans selling bikes through their own scheme....so you have to take each case in turn and not make generalisations!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hi all,

Turns out my boss wasn't keen on signing some contract deal with Halfords C2W so it's now get something from Evans or search around for something second hand.

Is this Carrera Vulcan worth a shot? Reasonably priced? I've no idea how old it is looking at the picture, hopefully someone with tad more experience does!

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/carre ... to-content

Thanks!
  • The halfords boys let me order in the
    discounted items off the internet to the store for me to include in my purchase! Was quite chuffed as I got told they couldn't do it
  • Cool.