Help choosing which bike out of the three?

rhysyd
rhysyd Posts: 141
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
After waiting 3-4weeks for a decent 2nd hand bike to pop up on eBay etc. Im getting impatience and so im going for new one. At the Minute Halfords have got Boardman FS Team.. for £900 instead of £1,000 (10% discount voucher)

I don't really want to be paying more then 1k, so its between these 3 bikes (I haven't a clue whatsoever which has to best spec so help me out lads!)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... &langId=-1

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p435 ... NTY-3-2012

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p494 ... CE-X3-2013

Things ill be using it for is mostly Llandegla red, coed y brenin trials etc.

thanks a lot Rhys

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    My browser won't let me follow the links (my issue), but don't forget to use Quidco and British Cycling for Halfords purchases, should you choose that one.
  • rhysyd
    mcnultycop wrote:
    My browser won't let me follow the links (my issue), but don't forget to use Quidco and British Cycling for Halfords purchases, should you choose that one.

hmm, would you be able to use the British cyclying discount aswell as the normal 10% discount?
  • mali01
    mali01 Posts: 81
    I would prob go with the cannondale and im a Trance owner purely for the better fork over the Trance. My wife has the 2013 cannondale rz120 2 and for the price they are great value. However if you were going to upgrade the fork anyway i would go with the Trance as i feel it becomes a much more capable bike.
  • rhysyd
    Anyone else discount finishes tommorow? :/
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Boardman is the best buy by miles, cannondale looks grim is everyway
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Cqc wrote:
    ... cannondale looks grim is everyway

Why?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Boardman has the best components but is a bit of a crap ride according to a mate who has just bought one.
  • Plus if you have a discount that ends tomorrow, and if you choose the boardman, be sure there is stock, they are selling well, when I was looking a few weeks ago, these were only in stock on the website for 1 day!!
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • rhysyd
    cheers lads, in the end went for a boardman HT PRO, it was 1k but manged to get it for £720! couldn't leave it at that price!
  • rhysyd
    Well, just picked it up now.. the carbon headset is completely scratched. The tyres are covered in muck/dust.. no pedasl.. and also the brake pads are rubbing slightly.. and I bought this brand new..? so yeah.
  • Well that's pretty crap

Bikes of this value don't come with pedals

The rest I would take it back and complain (tomorrow obviously)
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Just thought I'd say, no pedals is not uncommon on buying a new bike, due to the fact that some people ride clipped in and some on flats etc.

But I completely agree that (if what you say is the case) it's out of order, see how well they sort it out before saying too much though. Most companies are pretty good these days.
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • rhysyd
    I did initially think it didn't come with pedals, but it says on the website in Specification Well Go pedals? :/ Yeah, to be honest. It was the last one in the shop, it was reduced from £1000 to £800 then I got an extra 10% off it. I cant really complain!
  • Well to be fair if it said it came with pedals then unless I'm missing something it should come with pedals!

Why was it reduced? It wasnt an ex-demo or anything like that? Almost sounds like it could be but they forgot to say it on the website or something like that!
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • Those well go pedals, you don't want anyway, they are useless crap lol, when I was choosing the chap told me it says it on the spec of the bikes, but as soon as people see them, then they don't ever fit them lol, brakes and dust is easy to sort out, and stuff will get scratched anyway, still sounds like you got a bargain :)
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • rhysyd
    Very true! anyone recommend some decent pedals then on Wiggle? Don't think I can be arsed going back to pick up a pair of well-go's they sound rubbish.
  • All I would say regarding pedals is they arent worth spending too much on,

In my personal experience they just get smashed into rocks and the pins get bent/snapped so they aren't worth spending loads of money on. I'm talking more than like £20 to ensure you get something decent but personally I wouldn't spend like £80-£100 on some.
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • I have some dmr v12 in nice shiny silver, brand new for sale for £30 haha

I use superstar delta pedals, but not on wiggle (why wiggle by the way?)
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • rhysyd
    KevChallis wrote:
    I have some dmr v12 in nice shiny silver, brand new for sale for £30 haha

I use superstar delta pedals, but not on wiggle (why wiggle by the way?)

haha, well ive spotted an Evoc backpack with back protector in the sale £70 from £109, so was having a order from them so thought might aswell throw some pedals in!
  • Just to be on safe side go over the bike and check tightness of bolts. My ht pro carbon was set up very well . Brakes could just need bedding in . If still rubbing then it's an easy job to align calipers . Loosen caliper bolts a little pull brake lever to centre pads and retighten caliper bolts whilst maintaining lever pressure.

If your bike has the wire bead mountain king tyres then my advice is go easy . They are a cheap version and wash out easily. Otherwise I would say good choice and enjoy.
  • rhysyd
    Just to be on safe side go over the bike and check tightness of bolts. My ht pro carbon was set up very well . Brakes could just need bedding in . If still rubbing then it's an easy job to align calipers . Loosen caliper bolts a little pull brake lever to centre pads and retighten caliper bolts whilst maintaining lever pressure.

If your bike has the wire bead mountain king tyres then my advice is go easy . They are a cheap version and wash out easily. Otherwise I would say good choice and enjoy.

What do you by wire bead they are mountain kings continental? Just had a quick raz, should the brakes be stopping me dead? Front break I slam it on and my back end doesn't even come up? Very squeaky also. Sorry for newb questions!