Chinese Carbon Frames

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
When I first signed up to the site a few years back there was a massive thread on cheap Chinese Carbon Frames. Haven't seen anything mentioned in a while on the subject and was wondering if anyone who bought one is still happy, or if they've had any problems?

30th birthday later this year and really fancy building up a new bike and looking at all possibilities.

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • twgh
    twgh Posts: 102
    I was in a similar boat to you when I built up my bike for last year - I read some horror stories about frames, but most of them seemed to be from a few years ago. After some research it seemed to me that there are a few reputable frame makers such as Deng Fu and Hong Fu. I used this website and did a lot of reading http://velobuild.com/ - The frames are not counterfeits as far as I am aware, mine certainly was not trying to be anything other than a Deng Fu FM029 model.

I have had mine for around a year now and it has been faultless - the ride is great, very responsive, pretty harsh at times but happy with that as it really allows you to get the power down quickly. I reckon I have done around 5000km on it (about 1500 of that on a turbo) and it has been fantastic. That said I do not think the frames are long term investments and I will be replacing mine at the start of may in time for the summer and relegating it to a turbo / winter bike.

It really depends what you are after - it has suited me perfectly but bought it with the intention of only using it for one year. That may not work for you.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    +1 on most of what twgh says
    I bought an FM029 last year to use as a winter bike. I have done 1000 miles on mine and its been fine. My summer bike is a Wilier Izoard. the FM029 is lighter and I would say stiffer but as a result slightly less compliant. but for <£400 custom painted in whatever colour you want then I don't reckon you can go wrong. If I was doing it again I think I would ask them to clearcoat the frame another once as I have managed to chip the paint on the TT. You can find mine on the Your Road Bikes sub forum - search Orange Monster
  • neilvx
    neilvx Posts: 137
    So tempting mmmmmmmm :D
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 27.5 2017 Grey / Yellow Flash
    Ribble R872 Ultegra
    Skyway BMX
  • I have purchased several frame sets from HongFu over the past 4 years, I built an FM039 for a friend, about a year after purchasing it and building it with a Sram Force group a problem arose with the front derailleur shifting from small to large chain rings, after much fiddling around I removed the forks and put a camera inside the down tube and discovered that the tube containing the cable run inside the downtube had been knicked when the holes were drilled for the waterbottle bosses and the tube had collapsed making it impossible to shift the front derailleur, I contacted HongFu and sent them pictures of the problem the result was a new frameset was sent complete with original pain scheme. The new frameset has changed there is no longer internal tubes for the shifter cables.
    I also built an FM066 for another friend, he was riding one day with his head down and road right into a temporary road sign smashed his carbon front wheel ( Not Chinese.) We carefully inspected the frame and fork, there was no damage, he is still riding it 2 years later.
    I also ride a FM066 with a Sram Force group and carbon UAM tubular wheelset that weigh in at 1150 grams for the pair. This frame has decent vertical compliance but very little deflection of the bottom bracket, it is a much nicer ride than the FM039 which is an ideal frame for sprinters. I have purchased their new frameset an FM082, but I don't have it built up yet.
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    Probably because you can get basically the same thing form planet x or ribble for only a fractionally higher cost.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961

Having a look at their website, I cannot see any geometry info, so how are you guys buying your frames, you just taking a punt on sizing?
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189

Having a look at their website, I cannot see any geometry info, so how are you guys buying your frames, you just taking a punt on sizing?

In most cases the geometry is 'hidden' within the pics of the frame.

I own a R-022 and, since this week, a R-016.