1x10 - worth using 'clutch' MTB rear mech?

verloren
verloren Posts: 337
edited February 2014 in The workshop
I'm converting my winter/commuter bike to be a 1x10 for simplicity (and because my front shifter bust, which prompted me to try something different!). I'm using SRAM, and have everything except for a rear mech. I'm wondering whether the clutch mechanism of the Type 2 MTB mechs is worth getting to reduce the chances of throwing a chain, or should I stick to a short-cage Rival mech? The internet doesn't seem to have any wisdom on this, and I can't even work out for sure whether an MTB mech would work.

Cheers, Paul

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
'10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
'08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    The clutch mechs are designed to stop the derailleur cage swinging forward and throwing too much slack into the system when going over rough ground. Wouldn't serve any function on a road bike, and would mean changing your shifter, too, as road and mtb 10-speed systems use different pull ratios (at least they do in Shimano, and I think they do in SRAM, though not 100% sure).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I wouldnt bother, i run my commuter 1x9 with a simple top chain guide for security, no chain slap on a commuter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    Thanks guys, I think I'll follow your suggestion and stick with the road one. I was going to go with a short cage mech, but on further reading that plan changes as they can't cope with the 32T max that I'll be using. Ah well...

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • There is a recent thread I stated in it called goig 1x10 some goo info in there
  • i'm using the x9 medium cage (not type 2) derailleur on my sram equipped gravel racer.
    it works perfectly since sram road and mtb have the same pull ratios.

I like the fact it can take a large cassette if I want to. But most of all i like the increased spring tension and robustness of their mtb derailleurs. This already does wonders for chain slap on the stays.

give it a go!