Wilier GTR 2014

South Downs
South Downs Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi All

I could do with some feedback from anyone who has experience of these bikes. I am looking to upgrade my current Secteur (I am a sportive/weekend type rider) and had narrowed it down to a Trek Domane 4.7 or Specialized Roubaix (basic model specced up as I don't like the red colour of the Comp which is the level I want). However after test riding the Trek, the guy in the bike shop suggested I try out a Wilier GTR he had in the window. It was only a short test ride but the bike felt fantastically fast (at least on par with a too expensive S-Works Roubaix I had ridden the previous week) and it also looked absolutely stunning. Any views on the bike welcome as I don't know much about the brand.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    I have the GTR ultegra, but haven't ridden it yet whilst the roads are crap. You did well to get a test ride in the current poor weather.

Stunning bike though. Yes, you can get a higher spec cheaper from other brands but the brand, heritage and look of the bike stand a class higher than those others.
  • thefog
    Ps. I bought the bike for the same reasons, sportives and club rides.

If it's your size, snap it up, bikes on order won't be in stock till April.
  • Picked up my new Wilier 2014 GTR Ultegra on Friday.

Only done 35km but it feels v quick indeed.

Plan to use it for sportives and club rides as above.

If you liked the geometry as well as the ride, I'd say go for it!
  • Managed to get another 15km on the GTR last night after coming home for work. Must say, as my body has adjusted to the more aggressive geometry, I found it more comfortable and faster than even a couple of days ago.

Took it down one of the worst maintained streets in the local area (full of broken tarmac, unkempt speed-bumps etc) and it rode over it all with aplomb. Needless to say, that allowed me to keep the power on and ride it faster than ever.

Highly recommended.
  • I really like this bike but can't afford the Ultegra. I have about £1500 to spend so the Veloce is the only option. Anyone riding with this group set? Not sure if I should go for t or spend money on something like a cube with ultra.
  • nufc_fan wrote:
    I really like this bike but can't afford the Ultegra. I have about £1500 to spend so the Veloce is the only option. Anyone riding with this group set? Not sure if I should go for t or spend money on something like a cube with ultra.

Ran Veloce on my first bike (Wilier Escape with a Veloce upgrade) and it was excellent. Very reliable and consistent. I prefer the Campag levers and shifters to the Shimano ones having spent time on them and now ride a Wilier Izoard with Centaur.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    No problems with veloce.it's a very solid and reliable groupset. I like the ergonomics of the hood shape. I had it on my wilier wizard too but have shifted it to another frame not now and upgraded to a mix of chorus and Athena.
  • Thanks for the comments everyone. Still mulling it over. I have discounted the Domane as it's so similar in ride to the Roubaix and I'm more familiar with the Spesh brand. The GTR is definitely still an option though as it just looks so good and feels so fast. Slightly concerned about how it would fare in terms of comfort compared to the Roubaix doing a 100 miler though. Decisions decisions....
  • Sawilson
    Sawilson Posts: 171
    I had the same dilemma recently, I looked at the Wilier, took the Izoard out for a spin and it nearly shook my teeth out too harsh a ride for me, I wanted to try the GTR but the only one I could find locally had a far to large frame to demo.
    In the end I opted for the SL4 Roubaix Comp had a SL2 in the past, I really like the red frame, every other bike seems to be black at the moment.
    I also got the shop to swap the Axis brakes for the Ultegra ones to match the groupset.
    I think they are both good bikes, just toss a coin.
    Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
    Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    Interesting, my izoard is very comfortable, think you might be the victim of an over enthusiastic tyre pumper!
  • Sawilson
    Sawilson Posts: 171
    Possibly so, it just felt like I could feel every little bump on the road magnified.
    You'd probably fall asleep riding a Roubaix then ! ( No puns please).
    It's quite strange sometimes how views vary so wildly on bikes, and would be a very boring place if we all agreed.
    Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
    Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • thefog
    As an update, got out for the first time on my GTR ultegra at the weekend. Found it very responsive [step up from an Allez Sport].

Quickly realised I'm going to have to change bars though, had 44cm on the spesh and they are only 40 on the GTR [large]. Took a little while to get used to ultegra as well - jump from Sora on previous.

All good though, really happy with purchase. Looking forward to more frequent and longer rides.
  • limoneboy
    limoneboy Posts: 480
    Math Salden in holland are doing a ultra and force gtr for less than £1500 2014 models too. very good site and i have bought frames from them postage is about £50.
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1