New bike, budget 3k

Simon430
Simon430 Posts: 118
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
As per title looking for a new summer bike. Name me some suggestions around the 3k mark, preferably below. My suggestions have been;

Giant propel advanced 2
Canyon ultimate cf sl 9 aero
Bmc team machine slr02 ultegra
Bmc time machine tmro2 ultegra

Anyone got any opinions on the above bikes and what I should go for?

Thanks
Simon

Comments

• What size are you??? (Both in bike and weight) what for.
    I'd add:
    2013 orbea sli2
    Look 675
  • Simon430
    I'm around 6 ft 2 and weight around 63kg.

Will be mainly used for fast group riding with the occasional race/time trial/sportive.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Simon430 wrote:
    I'm around 6 ft 2 and weight around 63kg.

Will be mainly used for fast group riding with the occasional race/time trial/sportive.

At your size you could by an old grifter, put some panniers and still get up a hill quicker than.most !
    Oh and you'd save £2800 !
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Orbea Sli2 then, 6700 Di2 on a great frame and you'll get a chunk of change. Check the geo though as they size up large.
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    NRG Cycles in Great Ayton have a Cerevo S5 withe Ultegra 6700 at around your budget.
  • sopworth
    sopworth Posts: 191
    Simon
    For what it's worth, have you been to see a fitter and get your stack and reach numbers?
    If you are going to fork out £3k, then I'd certainly visit a Retul fitter and, for what £75, get some numbers to base your search on.
    You may find that none of those bikes are suitable for you without major adjustments.
    Just my thoughts and sincerest apologies if you are clued up enough to know all this and are lucky enough to have that wonderful selection avaialbe as suitable bikes :D
    S
  • sub4
    sub4 Posts: 14
    Focus Cayo 1.0, Ultegra Di2, £2800.

If you don't mind the colour...

focus-bikes.com
  • Simon430
    I haven't had a fit. But I'm comfortable on my current bike, a giant defy M/l using a 120mm stem.

I'm swaying towards the Bmc team machine slr02 so if any one has an reviews/opinions and sizing help the that would be brilliant.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I'm 6' 2" - 85kg and have the Propel. Absolutely love it.

Very comfortable and great for hills and flats.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I ride a Trek Madone and would highly recommend it to anyone. I've got the 4.7 with quite a few upgrades - cost me in total just below £3k (new wheels, stem, seat post and saddle)
    The 5.2 has the normal starting price of £2800. Both the 4.7 and 5.2 would well worth a look in my opinion.
  • Id very much +1 the recommendation of having a bike fit thrown in with the bike.

I have a canyon slx and its a awesome piece of kit,

Id get a ULTIMATE CF SLX 7.0 DI2, although the prices have gone up recently so maybe wait for them to go back down.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    The Canyon Ultimate CF SL 9.0, CF SL 9.0 Aero and CF SLX 7.0 all look like great options for low weight, high spec, and good comfort, etc. I've ordered the CF SL 9.0 myself.

Although apparently one of the CF SL models just got 4 stars in the Bike Of The Year. What's that about? Canyon roadbikes are supposed to get 4.5 or 5 stars. They clearly reviewed it wrong - I want a recheck!
  • winton
    winton Posts: 165
    Scott Addict 10 is supremely comfortable whilst being stiff and a light frame to build upon.
  • Doony
    Doony Posts: 46
    If you want a bargain, I just bought a 2013 Felt F3 Di2 from Tredz, reduced from £3.4k to £1999, when I added it to the basket, it was £1799, and had a 10% code, so paid £1630 in the end. Still have some in stock as of an hour ago.
    2013 Felt F3 Di2
    2011 Cube Attempt
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Winton wrote:
    Scott Addict 10 is supremely comfortable whilst being stiff and a light frame to build upon.

Seconded - try get a test ride.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Cervelo S3 - thread complete