Specialized Warranty

aiwa_yamaha
aiwa_yamaha Posts: 137
edited February 2014 in Road general
I bought a Tarmac Comp from someone that bought it from Evans Cycles. I have the receipt for the bike. Specialized has lifetime warranty on frames. If i have a problem with my bike will i be able to claim on warranty under another name of the receipt as the current owner?

Comments

• Legally no, as the warranty is for the original owner, and the contract is between them and the shop however you can probably get away with it
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    They tend to be very helpful with their warranties but going by the wording of the warranty it is only for the original purchaser. You can always ask them, do you have a problem with the bike ?
  • Well i have a line in the frame which could be a crack in the frame but maybe just a small paint mark crack. Not too sure. In terms of warranty i mean with Specialized and not Evans Cycles.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You'll need to take it to a dealer - Specialized don't generally deal direct with customers.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • The warranty is for the original owner and is not transferable.
  • I sold a Specialized Demo 8 DH frame to a mate. I had the receipt and gave it to him. It ended up cracking for what ever reason. Specialized honored the warranty when he inquired about it. He got a new frame. I had nothing to do with the process, apart from providing him the details of the purchase and the original receipt.

Ben
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    btiratsoo wrote:
    I sold a Specialized Demo 8 DH frame to a mate. I had the receipt and gave it to him. It ended up cracking for what ever reason. Specialized honored the warranty when he inquired about it. He got a new frame. I had nothing to do with the process, apart from providing him the details of the purchase and the original receipt.

Ben
    So, in essence, your mate just lied and got away with it?
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    Similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago on a second hand 5 year old Allez frame.

I contacted Specialized by email. I didn't say I wasn't the original owner as the warranty is not transferrable, but they told me that if I had the original receipt they would replace the frame. There didn't appear to be a need to go through the person who sold the bike new.

I didn't have the original receipt so I took it no further.

The point is, though, contact Specialized, they are very accommodating.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Garry H wrote:
    btiratsoo wrote:
    I sold a Specialized Demo 8 DH frame to a mate. I had the receipt and gave it to him. It ended up cracking for what ever reason. Specialized honored the warranty when he inquired about it. He got a new frame. I had nothing to do with the process, apart from providing him the details of the purchase and the original receipt.

Ben

Alternatively Ben could've taken the bike in as his own, with original receipt and got a replacement frame on warranty ... or Ben could've bought it back from his mate for a token value, got the replacement frame on warranty then resold it back ...

Eitherway, Specialized have a lifetime warranty on frames - and it seems that with an original receipt they may honour that ..

I wonder what they deem "lifetime" to mean ...
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    Slowbike wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    btiratsoo wrote:

Ben

Alternatively Ben could've taken the bike in as his own, with original receipt and got a replacement frame on warranty ... or Ben could've bought it back from his mate for a token value, got the replacement frame on warranty then resold it back ...

Eitherway, Specialized have a lifetime warranty on frames - and it seems that with an original receipt they may honour that ..

I wonder what they deem "lifetime" to mean ...

the lifetime of the original owner
  • I could have done all of that. It was the plan if it failed when he asked, but we didn't have to. I'm just saying that they were very helpful and sometimes it is worth asking. It might have helped that the frame was taken back to the shop that it was originally bought from. They dealt with the claim.
  • marcusww
    marcusww Posts: 202
    I understand as with cars that legally the warranty is on the equipment and not the person. It is a difficult one to sort as I believe this is EU law!