Knee and shin pads

DodgeT
DodgeT Posts: 2,255
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Normally, I wear my 661 kyle straits for pretty much everything, including dh. Had the odd shin scrape with the pedals, but after doing this yesterday..

1956899_257652234395948_345957684_o_zps832cc856.jpg

I think it's time to get some with built in knee protection for dh stuff.

I've tried some 661 hard shell knee/shin pads before, but they were useless.

Thinking of something like http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/troy-lee-designs-kg-5450-knee-shin-guards/rp-prod59944 but they don't look like they offer much shin protection.

Also looked at these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/661-rampage-knee-shin-guards-ex-demo/rp-prod118212 but lots of reviews say they slip down. Some previous 661's I had did nothing but slip all day.

So, basically after something that will protect my shins, won't slip, and will be pretty good to pedal in. Dh wise.

I won't be using these for xc, will keep my kyle straits for that.

Ta.

Comments

• Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I can see how that might motivate you...
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Try some of the new ixs ones, brilliant!!!
  • DodgeT
    Only thing I don't like the look of with the IXS ones, is they don't seem to protect the sides of the knee, just the front.

Surprised there's no other suggestions coming through???
  • Not used them personally but a mate swears by his nuke proof knee and shin guards!!
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    DirtyHand wrote:
    Not used them personally but a mate swears by his nuke proof knee and shin guards!!

+1 for these

Only really good for DH. I tried them at Degla and they were not good. Fine at Antur though. Very comfortable.

A mate tried the Rampage pads and didn't like them.
  • I've tried a few knee and shins, ixs cleaver, rampage knee shin. Just can't seem to get on with them. The shin part stays firm but I get knee movement in the knee cup part when pedaling.

I looked at 661 riot shin and poc do a similar pad. Would be used with your existing knee pads. In my eyes this seems the best option. I'll wait till I chop up my shins before pulling the trigger.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    This is the problem i had when wearing them at Degla

Don't pedal as much when doing DH, so i don't really have that issue
  • The poc stuff is usually brilliant.

I'm struggling with your post, do you currently have just knee pads or shin (i thought the kyle straits are knee pads)
  • DodgeT
    Seems the nukeproof get very good reviews, may have to give them a try.

Ride whenever, currently using kyle straits for most my riding, certainly dh, hence why my shins got mauled.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    DodgeT wrote:
    Seems the nukeproof get very good reviews, may have to give them a try.

I've got the Nukeproof Critical knee pads, which are excellent - loads of protection and don't move about at all. Those are the same as the knee section of the knee & shin eversion.
  • DodgeT
    Just ordered some of the nukeproof criticals, with an extra 10% off, £43, thank you CRC :D

Cheers for the input guys.