Would I be frowned upon?

kingie3105
kingie3105 Posts: 60
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Would using a Shimano chainset with a Sram groups et be frowned upon? Because there seems to be a lack of triple Sram chainsets.....

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Why would you be?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    nicklouse wrote:
    Why would you be?

yeah what he said, nobody gives a feck, just do as you please, and feck those who do care.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's only Campag fanboys that get upset about things like that. Fortunately they don't ride mountain bikes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I believe that chain and gears are interchangable but shifters are not.

But I would disapprove of you unless you went to a public school.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • That's where I'm getting it from then, cooldad. I was a roadie for a while and was a campaign fan boy... I guess I will do that then just for ease... Or change to a 2x10 setup
  • What SRAM triple would you like. Last I checked they were all still available
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Stuff what people think, do what you want to your money and your bike. My road bike is a mix of SRAM and Shimano and it works for me and that is that matters.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Carry a spare spoke and if anyone starts getting sniffy about your bike a quick jab in the arris will give them something important to think about
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Unlikely that anyone cares! But yes, you can potentially mix these brands & others.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At one point my bike had a SRAM shifter (named), Shimano rear mech and a KMC chain on suntour chainrings on a Shimano crankset..... could anybody even tell after a muddy day at Cannock?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    The Rookie wrote:
    At one point my bike had a SRAM shifter (named), Shimano rear mech and a KMC chain on suntour chainrings on a Shimano crankset..... could anybody even tell after a muddy day at Cannock?

And can you tell if anyone's frowning at you for revealing this?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm feeling the love.....

Now on Shimano shifter. shimano mech, KMC chain and raceface ring on Shimano cranks, though all components are better than that older combo.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.