2013 Tarmac sl4 pro vs tarmac s-works

Stackedhippiechick
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
I am looking to get a new frame for my build and can get a good deal on either a 2013 tarmac sl4 pro or 2013 s-works. I would like to know if there is that big of difference between the two? I know there is about a 100g difference in weight. Will the s-works be to harsh for long days in the saddle, grand fondos? Will I notice the difference? I do long distancing racing as opposed to crits. The price difference will be about $600.

Comments

• Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Are you a semi-pro? Do you race? If not then i would save the $600 and put it into an upgrade elsewhere in the build. So unless the s=works really looks a lot better then SL4 for me. I seriously doubt many of us would notice the difference.
  • The S-works is on the way! Sram Red Black Edition, Zipp 202 wheels.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I am disappointed you didn't buy from Flat Tire... :/
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Will the s-works be to harsh for long days in the saddle, grand fondos? Will I notice the difference? I do long distancing racing as opposed to crits. The price difference will be about $600.

Ride quality is more to do with tyre choice/pressure, kit choice and bike setup, tbh. The S-Works frames are routinely ridden over long distances by pro riders (and indeed many others too), so it is wrong to view the frame as being suitable for short distances only.
  • Seems too late but my advice given to me from the specialized concept store was sworks was really only for either sponsored riders or people with more money than sense as 99.99% of people would not tell the difference, you just paying more for a sticker as you will not tell the difference and that was coming from them.

Personally id have put the extra into some better wheels
  • Thanks Jeff. I was able to change the order to the Tarmac Pro Sl4 because it did not ship yet. Thanks for your wisdom. I know I will be very happy with it. Ride on.