trackpumps

tanipan
tanipan Posts: 261
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi
Need a new track pump what is the best and the worst not to buy.
Cheers.
m parsons

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Guess there must be better ones but I have a Topeak Joe Blow and its great.

Would steer clear of Bontrager ones. Aldi ones are the worse I have seen though.

Sure I have seen some great looking SKS Pro ones if money is no object ;-)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Joe Blow Sport is the usual stock answer. Works for me anyway.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Yup Joe Blow Sport is the answer
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Topeak Joe Blow Sport does it for me.
  • Another vote for the joe blow 2 here too ... Halfords have almost £10 off them at the moment online
  • I have a Joe Blow Pro. Can't fault its pumping performance but:

1. The rubber feet on the base make it very unstable - falls over easily

2. I've pinched the palm of my hand twice (once drawing blood) where the valve head lever folds flush with the housing - nasty pinch point. I've since cut the sides out to minimise this risk.

3. The rubber "trim" band around the top of the pump perished in less than a year - not functionally an issue but looks pretty crappy.

I wouldn't buy the Pro again.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I have the Bontrager Charger from Evans and it works just fine.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • Beto do one for around £20 which is a tripod. Probably the best home track pump I've used. Also the most stable track pump period.

They generally last 2-3 years casual use and ~10minths in a shop
  • I have a park tool one, never had an issue

http://www.velodro.com/park-tool-pfp-6- ... floor-pump
  • Anonymous
    wandsworth wrote:
    I have the Bontrager Charger from Evans and it works just fine.

Have you ever used a Joe Blow Sport II?

Do not want to knock peoples purchases, its just that I regularly use both and for £3.29 difference (in Evans) the Topeak one is twice as nice IMO.
    The Bontager one is definitely durable though.

Only thing I do not like about the Joe Blow is that metal base.
    I put some rubber on mine so I could use on the kitchen/hall floors :)
  • rolf_f
    Beto do one for around £20 which is a tripod. Probably the best home track pump I've used. Also the most stable track pump period.

That's a pretty poor recommendation. £20 for a pump that will only last 2-3 years? What sort of mileage is that relating to?

I have a Joe Blow Pro. Can't fault its pumping performance but:......

Sounds like twice the price of the Sport for negative benefits!
  • Anonymous
    edited February 2014
    Beto do one for around £20 which is a tripod. Probably the best home track pump I've used. Also the most stable track pump period.

So £20 in Argos for a Beto (whooooooooo?) or another tenner for a really well reviewed one.

What fails after 2 years? Would it be the tripod bit by any chance? Cannot believe it lasts even that long. What a stupid design.
    Cannot think of anything else with a tripod base that you push your whole bodyweight down on :shock:

Have had my Topeak one for years and it seems like new still.
    Its not exactly unstable but I thought the point of most track pump design is that you put your feet on the base if you want it stable.

Buy cheap buy twice............... or 3 or 4 or 5 times it seems in the case of a Beto :D
  • Rolf F wrote:
    I have a Joe Blow Pro. Can't fault its pumping performance but:......

Sounds like twice the price of the Sport for negative benefits!

It was heavily discounted (at least half price) - now I know why. At least I didn't pay anything like full price to have a crappier pump...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I have a Joe Blow Pro. Can't fault its pumping performance but:

1. The rubber feet on the base make it very unstable - falls over easily

2. I've pinched the palm of my hand twice (once drawing blood) where the valve head lever folds flush with the housing - nasty pinch point. I've since cut the sides out to minimise this risk.

3. The rubber "trim" band around the top of the pump perished in less than a year - not functionally an issue but looks pretty crappy.

I wouldn't buy the Pro again.

I bought the sport version as it has a solid metal base. So far no problems.
  • tanipan
    tanipan Posts: 261
    Thanks everyone for the replys going to go for the joe blow sport 11.
    Cheers Martin.
    m parsons
  • Carbonator wrote:
    wandsworth wrote:
    I have the Bontrager Charger from Evans and it works just fine.

Have you ever used a Joe Blow Sport II?

Do not want to knock peoples purchases, its just that I regularly use both and for £3.29 difference (in Evans) the Topeak one is twice as nice IMO.
    The Bontager one is definitely durable though.

Only thing I do not like about the Joe Blow is that metal base.
    I put some rubber on mine so I could use on the kitchen/hall floors :)

I haven't used the Joe Blow. I'm sure it's fine. I use the Bontrager on wood floors, so that's one mod I would have had to make to the Joe Blow ...
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    tanipan wrote:
    Thanks everyone for the replys going to go for the joe blow sport 11.
    Cheers Martin.

They go up to 11??

Makes my Joe Blow Sport 2 sound very outdated! :wink:
  • I use the good old LifeLine track pump made by Wiggle- one of the cheapest out there and mine has been going strong for 3 years now. I find it really easy to get tyres up to over 120psi (not sure how far it'll go before it gets hard!). It also seems pretty secure, and can't feel any flex at higher pressures- probably because it doesn't take much force.

However, I also bought a standard BlowJoe from my LBS for my Parents, and I hate using it. The pump arm seems very flexible, and 120psi is as high as I can get it to go (feet off the floor hoping the shaft won't snap!)- even though the dial goes well over.

I would definitely avoid the standard BlowJow for road bike use!
  • Jim C
    Jim C Posts: 333
    I have a 10 year old 20quid cheapo. Just about given up the ghost now

Its replacement, best part of 100quid leyzyne, and 6months in the gauge has packed up. Must get round to mending it but was a present, so I don't know where it was from

I wouldn't buy another
    jc
  • rolf_f
    Jim C wrote:
    I have a 10 year old 20quid cheapo. Just about given up the ghost now

Its replacement, best part of 100quid leyzyne, and 6months in the gauge has packed up. Must get round to mending it but was a present, so I don't know where it was from

I wouldn't buy another

£100?! Did Damien Hirst encrust it with tasteful diamonds?! :lol:
  • It's been mentioned but - Joe Blow Sport.

I've had one for years now without replacing anything on it.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I've had a Silca since the 70's. Have put a hose and head or two on it, plus a new leather washer(which I'm not ever sure it needed). Can't fault it in any way. It's like an old friend.