Tubeless. Worth the money ?

bikes`n`guns
bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Chaps, and Chapettes

I have Bontrager TLR wheels with non tubless ready R3 tyres. The kit to change over is quite dear, does anyone use tubeless, and was it a worthwhile move ??

Thanks muchly
Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    well it costs more but then you have less chance of punctures, no pinch punctures, less psi so more grip and comfort.

I think it's worth it but that's me. If you want low a price, like high psi, have enough grip and comfort and don't puncture much then it will be a no.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • So are you using them ? Is the ride perceptively improved ?

How much of a drop in pressure is required with tubeless ? I expected to run them at the same pressures
  • maddog 2
    Yes I use them. Currently on 25mm Fusion3s but I've run others in the past (23mm Fusion, 23mm Atoms, 25mm Intensives, Bonty R3 25mm)

Yes I prefer them. I run 80 front and 90 rear usually.

You can run them at your normal clincher-type pressures if you want but then you'll miss out on the extra comfort and grip that lower pressures provide.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Thanks for that.

Can`t imagine the weight difference can be much though surely.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    you may have less chance of punctures but this achieved by using a thicker lowish TPI tyre carcas. So there is a trade of there always is. Personally I can pretty much remove the risk of punctures with the right clincher tyre but there are another bunch of comprimises. If I want ride comfort and I do I use tubular tyres. I tend to find punctures are a rarity anyway (if I use the right tyres for the conditions) even with tubs so making a change from tubs or tubed clinchers to be pointless exercise. Also I have never had a pinch flat on the road so to me it is a non risk to begin with.

So there are benefits to tubeless but before you go for the spend first of all think do you an issue with tubed clinchers. Up to you though it is your bike!
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Thanks folks

I don`t really have a great issue with tubes, (although the last few weeks have given reason to rethink) I mainly wondered about saved weight, improved ride etc.

I`m also thinking about carbon rims for this summer so might just not bother, I``ll then just have to think about carbon clinchers,,, or tubs ?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I don't think there is a weight saving once you have added everything up but some carbon clinchers will take tubeless set up not sure which though but there are some. Check out weight weenies.

Carbon tubular rims weigh a fair bit less than clinchers so there there is a real weight saving.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • maddog 2
    yeah you don't go tubeless for weight. A light clincher setup will be lighter (and tubs even more so).

I do it for less psi, so more grip and comfort. Grip mainly. Puncture issues are secondary to this, as I never punctured that much on clinchers anyway.

I got into tubeless on the mtb, where it's a big deal. It's less of a deal on the road for sure, so it's no so much 'better' as 'different'.
  • Thanks folks

It looks like I`ll just be saving up for mega light carbon tubs for those rare summer rides when it`s dry :D

I`ll stick with tubes for now. I`m running 25s on a Trek Domane so tbh the ride is sublime compared to what I`ve been used to all these years.

I do like those R3 tyres though, very happy with them