Spring/Summer Rubber

Sawilson
Sawilson Posts: 171
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
If you look at the Horizon with a good pair of binoculars you might just be able to see the onset of spring.
I have a stock Spesh Roubaix comp 2014 with a pair of there own Espoir Elite black belt tyres fitted.
Would there be any benefit in terms of of performance or grip to fit some slick summer tyres
I am 5'8" and about 75 kilos hoping to get this down to about 70 kilos.
Normal distances 15 to 70 miles.
If so any recommendations and what would roughly be best time to switch rubber.
:?
Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
Lapierre Zesty 2011
Garmin 510

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    There are a couple of tyre reviews on BR

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/b ... res-35215/

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/b ... ing-35814/

You can also do a search on the subject, there are a lot of posts on tyres.
  • Sawilson
    Thanks for the info, I find the reviews very confusing Bike Radar rate the Schwalbe Ultremo HD five stars, then most reviews slate them for lack of durability, less than 200 miles in some cases,.
    Cannot see the wood for the trees.
    I know all reviews are down to personal experience, but there seems to be a very wide difference into the quality of the product or expectation of what it should do ?
    Just Kidding !

Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    For me, either Ultremo (zx or dd) or Gp4000s. The zx and gp can cutup a bit but I have still managed at least 1 half year on them (so about 3,000 miles each). The dd tyres appear a bit more durable and less prone to cutting up but have only put about 1,500 miles on my first pair so far...
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Hi Sawilson,

I take your point about those reviews, it is better to have the views of actual long term users of the brands to be able to help you towards making a decision. It rather depends on the type of riding you do, are you after expensive race tyres or training/distance tyres?

Are your existing tyres worn out or do you want to change to slicks for increased speed/performance? There should be someone along shortly to recommend Continental GP4000S they seem to be popular on here, other brands are available. In the end though you will have to way up the views/opinions you receive, if any, and take a punt and see how you get on. Good luck with it.
  • Sawilson
    Don't mind sacrificing a bit of weight in the name of durability the Ultremo DD look like they may be more robust than the standard ones. Will also look at the GP4000s thanks for the recommendations.
    Would like an increase speed and performance, as long as they don't have a very short life span, if they lasted a summer I would feel as though I would have had VFM, then refitting the stock rubber as the season ends.
    Just Kidding !

Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • I had the same tyres (espoir sport) on my allez. They are dreadful tyres. Swap them to Conti GP4000s asap
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Ultremos are great, but make sure that you get the new V-guard version, not the old HD. I've got a pair of Veloflex Corsas to put back on for the Summer, following those I might try the Schwalbe One. Until then, Schwalbe Duranos are staying on the good wheels, they should survive until the sh!te has cleared from the roads.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    GP Force/Attack were my spring/summer tyres last year, no reason to pick anything else this year.
    One puncture, well something ripped a 5mm hole in the rear so could of happened to most tyres, nothing else.
    Sub 200g each.
    Cheers, Stu
  • My weight and riding distances are similar to yours. I use Michelin Pro 4 Endurance tyres all year round and I would recommend them.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Couple of points to note:
    - Wiggle appear to have a new version of the Schwalbe ZX with V guard - I haven't read any reviews of the 2014 tyre.
    - I recently read that Conti are going to introduce a new version of the GP4000s this spring.
    - If having the latest isn't top of your list, there are great offers out there for both these tyres.
    - In addition, the Michelin Pro 4 Race Service Course is a great tyre available at mega discounts at the moment.
    - Conti Attack/ Force is a nice combination. Merlin usually have great prices for these, albeit I'm not sure if they stock the latest version.

Peter
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Force/Attack work out pretty cheap from here;

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/product/detail/aid:550143
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/cont ... aid:550147

Attack doesnt say its a no 2 though, not sure what the differences are between 1 and 2 versions.
    Cheers, Stu
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    northpole wrote:
    Couple of points to note:
    - I recently read that Conti are going to introduce a new version of the GP4000s this spring.
    I'm seeing £49 asking price for the new Conti 4000s mk ii, thats stupid money for a hoop of rubber! I'm a fan of the gp4000s but i cannot justify this sort of money for the new ones no matter how people may rave about them. On a separate note my rear gp4000s tyre is now showing serious rubber fatigue around maybe 60 - 70 % of its circumference which I'm not happy about after 5 months of medium duty cycling .
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I imagine that the high price for the new GP4000s version will reflect the RRP and will pretty quickly fall away, particularly as the older version is fed to market at heavily discounted prices. Not sure what sales expectations they have for the new one at full price!

Peter
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Planet X have/had the Mich Pro4 on offer. Good summer tyre.

I sometimes use the Vittoria EvoCX. That works well. Tried the Ultremos but had quality control issues with bulging sidewalls, so stopped. They've probably sorted that out by now.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    All the top tyres are pretty much the same but Vittoria corsa evo cx do stand out a bit, if I had to put any order on the tyres I've used over the last few years........Vittoria, 4000s/Pro 4, Pro 3 and then a little behind the Ultremos.
  • Sawilson
    Sorry for the belated reply guys, finally got around to getting some new rubber today after reading your comments and checking out other reviews. It came down to Schwalbe Ultremos or Continental GP 4000s, the Schwalbes seemed to be the better looking rubber but lots of people had durability issues with them so I opted for the Continentals in the end.
    Fitted them today and went out for a quick 15 miler, noticed improved grip and less rolling resistance over the stock tyres fitted.
    I'll hopefully give them a longer run over the next few days.
    Thanks.
    Just Kidding !

Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • Ultremos
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020