Bryton device query-

davoj
davoj Posts: 190
edited February 2014 in Road general
Hi,

I have the Bryton rider 20 (GPS) and lately it seems to be giving me the wrong distances on route I do regularly, on my work route it reads that I am 15km even though it's a 19km cycle and today it logged my some what regular Saturday route as 80.7km instead of 87.8km.

Has anyone had this issue with Bryton before? And how can it be resolved?

(I have contacted the bryton customer support but they were not able to help as there representative had pretty poor English)

Thanks

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Why not import a couple of rides into Ridewithgps or mapmyride and see why the distances/routes go awry??
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Does the plotted route look OK. If it is having trouble with locating itself then you could lose some distance that way - but it would be obvious as you'd get straight lines where the trace should be following the road.

But Bobbinogs is right - upload the file to somewhere else and see what happens. Strava is good for this as that calculates the distance from scratch from the data points rather than using the summary data that the Bryton 20 produces and which is what is used on the Bryton site.

But then be prepared to see you total elevation climbed plummet as Stravas woeful elevation calculation knocks several hundred feet off your total! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • davoj
    Rolf F wrote:
    Does the plotted route look OK. If it is having trouble with locating itself then you could lose some distance that way - but it would be obvious as you'd get straight lines where the trace should be following the road.

But Bobbinogs is right - upload the file to somewhere else and see what happens. Strava is good for this as that calculates the distance from scratch from the data points rather than using the summary data that the Bryton 20 produces and which is what is used on the Bryton site.

But then be prepared to see you total elevation climbed plummet as Stravas woeful elevation calculation knocks several hundred feet off your total! :lol:

Thanks for the feedback. No there is no straight lines, it just seems to have made every segment shorter during the cycle and this didn't happen last week on the same route. I will try loading somewhere else to see.

I was curious if this has happened to anyone else and did it rectify itself?
  • The only thing I can think of is if the GPS stops recording your speed momentarily? I know mine can sometimes do it, even when reading off the speed sensor. Even then it's only ever for a couple of seconds, not enough to cut 4km off a ride, like yours seems to have done!

Can only advise maybe re scanning your speed sensor if you use one, or resetting the computer?
  • Normally when their devices has issues Bryton recommend resetting then using their Bryton recovery tool.

http://corp.brytonsport.com/products/support_sdownload

I used it once on my Rider 40 when it would stop recording and it cured the issue.
  • davoj
    Normally when their devices has issues Bryton recommend resetting then using their Bryton recovery tool.

http://corp.brytonsport.com/products/support_sdownload

I used it once on my Rider 40 when it would stop recording and it cured the issue.

I tried resetting it and it worked, thanks For the link and feedback.