Another Which Wheel Thread - sorry

roypsb
roypsb Posts: 309
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Finally got a few quid to replace the stock wheels on my Wilier Izoard. Not the biggest of budgets, about £350.

Like the look of the Fulcrum Racing 3s and Campagnolo Zondas. Both get good reviews and are in price range.

Most grateful for any advice on these (or any other suggestions).

Cheers.

Comments

• Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Both great choices if you can afford it. In the vein of other similar threads here, buy the ones you like the look of the best!
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Campag groupset - Zondas
    Shimano - Fulcrums :D

My Zondas have been great for a few years. Still true.
  • doolie
    doolie Posts: 42
    RoyPSB wrote:
    Finally got a few quid to replace the stock wheels on my Wilier Izoard. Not the biggest of budgets, about £350.

Like the look of the Fulcrum Racing 3s and Campagnolo Zondas. Both get good reviews and are in price range.

Most grateful for any advice on these (or any other suggestions).

Cheers.

I can't comment on the performance of my Zondas yet, saving for better weather. I was in a similar dilemma and thought I'd point out that Halfords are about the best price for the Zonda at the moment ( I bought shimano fit).

£305 online, deliver/pay in store. There's a £5 voucher floating around bringing down to £299 to pay in store. Use BC 10% discount to get to £270. Pre-order Halfords vouchers online at 10% discount and use these to pay in-store. Total ~£243.
    PlanetX RT-57
    Orbea Orca
    Felt DA
    GT Grade
  • roypsb
    Thanks for the replies gents. Probably will go for the Zondas and might use the rest towards some new shoes and cleats.
  • RC856 wrote:
    Campag groupset - Zondas
    Shimano - Fulcrums :D

My Zondas have been great for a few years. Still true.

....this. if you get the zondas in shimano.. id be taking the stickers off. Good wheels none the less.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    I managed to grab Zondas for 265 quid if that helps (price matched from shinybikes, who I googled and read mixed reviews, to wiggle)

Not ridden mine yet so can't comment on performanc
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • The way electronic gears are marketed and constructed goes to address race specific issues: essentially they do operate better than cable gears under heavy load. You want to fit them to your bike to avoid the hassle of having to index the gears.
    Essentially you are buying them for the wrong reasons... that is not to say they won't serve you well, but it's a bit like buying a Lotus because it's easier to park than a Mondeo.

My advice stands: learn to index the gears... it only takes 1 minute of your time every few months or so
    left the forum March 2023
  • roypsb
    The way electronic gears are marketed and constructed goes to address race specific issues: essentially they do operate better than cable gears under heavy load. You want to fit them to your bike to avoid the hassle of having to index the gears.
    Essentially you are buying them for the wrong reasons... that is not to say they won't serve you well, but it's a bit like buying a Lotus because it's easier to park than a Mondeo.

My advice stands: learn to index the gears... it only takes 1 minute of your time every few months or so

:?:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    RoyPSB wrote:
    The way electronic gears are marketed and constructed goes to address race specific issues: essentially they do operate better than cable gears under heavy load. You want to fit them to your bike to avoid the hassle of having to index the gears.

:?:

I'm thinking he was posting a reply to an entirely different thread...
  • I was...
    left the forum March 2023