look leo blade 2

banman77
banman77 Posts: 21
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi just bought a new set of keo blade 2 pedals what a difference from my old keo easy pedals what does everybody else think of them i found them a lot more supportive.
Think i will upgrade my shoes next any ideas folks on a mid price carbon soled pair.

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    I have a pair of the blade ready to go on my new bike, I'll be interested to see how they compare to my keo classics.

As for shoes, it comes down to whichever pair fit you the best. I find that shimano fit me the best, and their R170 are great value for money. As are the model down (R107) if they are more your budget.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I had a pair of titanium axle carbon blades which lasted a month or two before I clipped the kerb with one, following an interesting change of direction by a passing car! Sadly the pedal snapped in half and I was left unable to clip in to complete the final hills in last year's Fool's Errand. I didn't have to walk but it was a very interesting challenge to keep going!! Arguably just a freak accident and no reflection on the pedals. However, I chose not to replace them with another pair of the same.

The positives were mainly that the pedal shape provides an excellent large plate to spread loads across the cleats/ shoes. Clip in action was also good. The thing which drove me nuts about them was the squeaking which occurred when roads were damp or wet (very common condition in UK). I later heard someone say that the problem occurs when using the cleats with non slip coating - something to consider if there are options available. Too late for me as I had already switched back to dura ace pedals.

Peter
  • northpole wrote:
    I had a pair of titanium axle carbon blades which lasted a month or two before I clipped the kerb with one, following an interesting change of direction by a passing car! Sadly the pedal snapped in half and I was left unable to clip in to complete the final hills in last year's Fool's Errand. I didn't have to walk but it was a very interesting challenge to keep going!! Arguably just a freak accident and no reflection on the pedals. However, I chose not to replace them with another pair of the same.

The positives were mainly that the pedal shape provides an excellent large plate to spread loads across the cleats/ shoes. Clip in action was also good. The thing which drove me nuts about them was the squeaking which occurred when roads were damp or wet (very common condition in UK). I later heard someone say that the problem occurs when using the cleats with non slip coating - something to consider if there are options available. Too late for me as I had already switched back to dura ace pedals.

Peter

Not sure if you're talking about Blade 2's (just come out) or Blades.

I've had both, and currently have the Blade 2's Ti on for the last month or so.

The 2's have a bigger platform and you can feel more under foot, yet they are a touch lighter, and supposedly more aero (ahem!)

The cleats squeak if you use the special 'walking' set. Therefore, don't.

I've always been a bit suspect on Keo Blade bearing quality - I already have an annoying clicking coming from my bike, which I suspect may be the pedals, but I can't blame them yet......
  • still on the older style cleats without the grips will keep it that way away to get another set for the summer bike
  • I've been waiting for the 16mn version to come in stock but the few customer reviews I've seen so far aren't very good, have you managed anymore time on them since your last post to give a different view?
  • I've been waiting for the 16mn version to come in stock but the few customer reviews I've seen so far aren't very good, have you managed anymore time on them since your last post to give a different view?

I still have the annoying click, but still can't say for sure if it's the pedals.

I've tried pedaling 1 footed, left, then right, and I still get the noise, so maybe not, or they're both making a noise....

Otherwise, I really like them - very easy to clip into (i have the 12Nm spring which I think is plenty for most sub 75kg riders), big platform, nice and light.
  • The new blades look really thin, do they get thicker with the 16 and 20mn ones?
  • The new blades look really thin, do they get thicker with the 16 and 20mn ones?

I suppose so, yes.
  • kiwimatt
    kiwimatt Posts: 208
    I've been waiting for the 16mn version to come in stock but the few customer reviews I've seen so far aren't very good, have you managed anymore time on them since your last post to give a different view?

Have them on the best bike - 16nm clip in with a pretty serious thwack of engagement not perhaps for the lighter rider as mentioned but work fine for me - very secure - big feeling pedalling platform - but also unclip no problem. Try not to ride best bike in rain so can't comment on squeaking/bearings. If they are anything like the basic look Keos on my commuter they will go for ever hopefully :)
  • I thought the jump from riding Keo Carbons to Keo Blades was quite noticeable - but I just can't see the next version being that much of a leap. Haven’t tried them though so can’t really comment. I do know that I love my Blades and have them on all bar the classic and winter bikes.
  • Just bought some Keo Blade Carbons for 74 quid from Ribble, got the last pair! :D

Can't wait to see how they compare to the current Easys.
    If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
  • Stupid question but are the cleats the same on keo easy /carbon / blades?
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Stupid question but are the cleats the same on keo easy /carbon / blades?

"Keo" is the cleat shape. So, in that respect, yes.

Look only offer two types of keo cleats- grip and non grip- each with three float options. There are no stiff, lightweight or other options if that's what you were wondering.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • banman77
    banman77 Posts: 21
    done some more miles on the good bike last weekend and i have come to the conclusion they are way better i have keo eases on the winter bike and i have went off of them completely
  • graemeho
    graemeho Posts: 36
    I have the keo blade 2 12Nm ( yellow) . They certainly look the part! Compared to the Keo Carbons I have on my now winter bike, they feel more "locked in" a very solid clunk as your cleats enter. I'd say that 12Nm is more than enough for most ordinary club level 80kg riders like me. Only done a few turbo sessions as weather not yet dry enough for good bike to venture outside, so can not comment about bearings. Hard to say how much better / worth the extra cash than the standard keo's, unless you care about saving a few grams!
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I have done 1,000 K on my Blade 2 and the most noticeable thing for me is they are not as easy to clip into as the Blades. They do not spin as easily as the original Blade. I changed because the carbon spring was cracked in my Blade, it is on the turbo now.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    I have the 2s but have not fitted them yet,they are lighter thou and the bigger platform imo will make a difference to me.
    My shoes which again I have not used are the fizik r1 roll on the summer.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap