Maxxis vs Continental sizes

gregwari
gregwari Posts: 230
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hey

Quickie, anyone got any experience of maxxis sizing vs Conti sizing? Currently running a worn 2.4 Rubber Queen on the front wheel and looking to put a Maxxis Minion on in it's place... would you change for the 2.5 or the 2.35 (onto a Fox 32 Talas 150mm)

cheers!

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Even a 2.5 minion is a fair bit smaller than a 2.4 rubber queen.
    I use 2.5 minions on my dh bike and 2.2 rubber queens on my xc bike and there's not much difference in size.
    Why do you want such a massive tyre?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    The sizes aren't even consistent within each brand so the only way to know is to compare the models of tyre, not the brands.

I wouldn't bother with a Minion at all. The Specialized Butcher is better in just about every way (the 2.3 is about the same size as a 2.5 Minion).
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I didn't like Butchers. Minions let go more predictibly and dig in to softer ground better when cranked over.
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    Even a 2.5 minion is a fair bit smaller than a 2.4 rubber queen.
    I use 2.5 minions on my dh bike and 2.2 rubber queens on my xc bike and there's not much difference in size.
    Why do you want such a massive tyre?

Thanks for the reply... looking for new tyres for this years trip to the Alps etc.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I didn't like Butchers. Minions let go more predictibly and dig in to softer ground better when cranked over.

I found the exact opposite :lol: Bear in mind I'm comparing the Control to 2.35 super tacky's, Maxxpro and a 2.5 Super Tacky. The 2.5 should have more grip but on a smaller bike the lighter weight counts for a bit. I actually found Control Butchers grippier than the SX casing.