Local MP's cycling survey (London centric)

anonymousblackfg
anonymousblackfg Posts: 2,029
edited February 2014 in Commuting chat
If you'd missed it, Zak Goldsmith MP for Richmond Park and North Kingston held a public meeting oon cycling yesterday. (It seems we're creeping into the mainstream).

He is now asking for people's views via a survey found here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1PpTWpA ... c/viewform

Given a lot of us are in SW London, please take time to help an MP engage with us, be it, the ability to kill cyclists and avoid jail, the police's desire to not prosecute based on video evidence, the waste of money by lcoal and central government on sh1te infrastructure or death traps like Tooting.

Stephen Hammond the MP for Wimbledon is doing something similar with the Merton Cycling Campaign but useless mugs like Ed Davey MP will probably not pay any attention to cycling issues.
If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    Tom Brake down in Carshalton has already done something similar.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,515
    Why is Tooting a death trap? I live here and commute to the city, Tooting is by no means the worst bit.
  • Zac Goldsmith... I am torn whether he'll be the new mayor of London or the new James Bond... :shock:
    left the forum March 2023
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    If you'd missed it, Zak Goldsmith MP for Richmond Park and North Kingston held a public meeting oon cycling yesterday. (It seems we're creeping into the mainstream).

He is now asking for people's views via a survey found here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1PpTWpA ... c/viewform

Given a lot of us are in SW London, please take time to help an MP engage with us, be it, the ability to kill cyclists and avoid jail, the police's desire to not prosecute based on video evidence, the waste of money by lcoal and central government on sh1te infrastructure or death traps like Tooting.

Stephen Hammond the MP for Wimbledon is doing something similar with the Merton Cycling Campaign but useless mugs like Ed Davey MP will probably not pay any attention to cycling issues.

Unfortunately, missed the meeting, but sent some written comments to one of the councillors which helped organise it. I understand there'll be another meeting.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • monkimark wrote:
    Why is Tooting a death trap? I live here and commute to the city, Tooting is by no means the worst bit.

I'm a regular commuter through Tooting High St, which is affectionately known by CS7 regulars as 'The Tunnel of Death'
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • The lack of infrastructure is an issue but only as the drivers are sooooo poor! Rat running out of side roads, not indicating, pulling out without looking, double parking, suicide peds, getting buzzed by busses and lots of mini cabs, getting buzzed by chaps in old three door 3 series with too much window tint and loud sh*t music! Dirty tooting!
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Zac Goldsmith... I am torn whether he'll be the new mayor of London or the new James Bond... :shock:
    Ha - my wife attended some hustings to try and get better informed before the last election. Apparently the labour candidate was pretty impressive, but a no hoper in an area like Richmond. Susan Kramer turned up, stuffed her mouth full of cake and didn't say much of any import and just came across as unimpressive. Goldsmith pitched up and before he even opened his mouth, the good ladies of our Borough were ready to walk across fire for him. My missus came back and said she wouldn't vote for him, but she reckoned it would be a landslide....
  • mroli wrote:
    Zac Goldsmith... I am torn whether he'll be the new mayor of London or the new James Bond... :shock:
    Ha - my wife attended some hustings to try and get better informed before the last election. Apparently the labour candidate was pretty impressive, but a no hoper in an area like Richmond. Susan Kramer turned up, stuffed her mouth full of cake and didn't say much of any import and just came across as unimpressive. Goldsmith pitched up and before he even opened his mouth, the good ladies of our Borough were ready to walk across fire for him. My missus came back and said she wouldn't vote for him, but she reckoned it would be a landslide....

His aristocratic background and acquaintances will prevent him from going very far, I suspect...
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    At this stage all I want in SW London are resurfaced roads. No fancy segregated infrastructure, more more blue paint, no mass behavioural changes by drivers or cyclists, just nice smooth tarmac. It's a solved problem that doesn't even cost that much in the grand scheme of things and is something everyone can get behind (except the train passengers, but who cares about them).
  • Dyrlac wrote:
    At this stage all I want in SW London are resurfaced roads. No fancy segregated infrastructure, more more blue paint, no mass behavioural changes by drivers or cyclists, just nice smooth tarmac. It's a solved problem that doesn't even cost that much in the grand scheme of things and is something everyone can get behind (except the train passengers, but who cares about them).

I had a good chat about roads with Richmond council... the guy kept me at the phone for nearly an hour... I was basically complaining about the state of some roads and the fact that the cycle lane on the railway bridge of Church lane in Richmond is as wide as a size 10 shoe.... my proposition was to segregate it and merge it with the rather wide pavement.

So, what I gathered is that unless something is a real hazard, they won't do anything about it... things like broken tarmac and shallow holes, you'll have to suck it up... I have fitted 32 mm tyres and they're no longer a problem. They will fix deep holes if reported, but forget about a brand new road layout... it won't happen.

I think it's up to you to adapt and use a bicycle which is appropriate for the roads we've got... they ain't get better in the foreseeable future
  • Dyrlac wrote:

I had a good chat about roads with Richmond council... the guy kept me at the phone for nearly an hour... I was basically complaining about the state of some roads and the fact that the cycle lane on the railway bridge of Church lane in Richmond is as wide as a size 10 shoe.... my proposition was to segregate it and merge it with the rather wide pavement.

So, what I gathered is that unless something is a real hazard, they won't do anything about it... things like broken tarmac and shallow holes, you'll have to suck it up... I have fitted 32 mm tyres and they're no longer a problem. They will fix deep holes if reported, but forget about a brand new road layout... it won't happen.

I think it's up to you to adapt and use a bicycle which is appropriate for the roads we've got... they ain't get better in the foreseeable future

i'm not on the road at the moment, maybe in a months time, so I'm plodding around on the old MTB with XC 2inch tyres you might have to take some care on very rocky trails, but London roads can be treated with distane no need to even avoid since the bike isn't even unsettled, there is just a smug woomph as the tyre mildly deforms...

have to be said though Richmond Coucil has been resurfacing a few road recently.