Fulcrum quattro problem ?

josehernandez
josehernandez Posts: 243
edited June 2014 in Workshop
What's wrong with the front wheel on my bike ? It's a Fulcrum racing Quattro and has recently started squeaking/creaking when turning and doesn't rotate very long when I spin it.

Comments

• Shot bearings?
    left the forum March 2023
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd also suggest the bearings are buggered.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    +3 it should spin forever*.

*a very long time.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Cheers for that guys. Bloody thing squeeked for 95% of todays run.
    Would this issue be due to age and mileage on wheels or water ingress ?
    Also, Is it easy to sort this myself or would I be better getting local bike shop to do it for me ?
  • The baring on my back quattro has just been replaced, it had a major wobble going on.

LBS (G ang G's) reckoned it had been on the way out from new as it had some strange compression marks on it.

cant remember the price to fix it, less than a tenner anyway.

No biggy.
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • Had my Quattro wheels since December, the back went stiff. I cleaned it out and re-greased but the bearing has lost its silky smooth spin. The rear wheel has gone back under warranty, I noticed the front was a little stiff so have just stripped both bearings, hopefully caught that one in time. That's just 400 wet miles on so called sealed bearings.
    Bianchi infinito 2012
    Specialized Secteur
  • AlahDamIt wrote:
    Had my Quattro wheels since December, the back went stiff. I cleaned it out and re-greased but the bearing has lost its silky smooth spin. The rear wheel has gone back under warranty, I noticed the front was a little stiff so have just stripped both bearings, hopefully caught that one in time. That's just 400 wet miles on so called sealed bearings.

As much as we would like to think the opposite, road bikes are not meant to be ridden in the rain. A proper hybrid commuting bicycle like you see in Germany will be fine for many thousands of wet miles, but flimsy sub 10 Kg equipment is not...
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    AlahDamIt wrote:
    Had my Quattro wheels since December, the back went stiff. I cleaned it out and re-greased but the bearing has lost its silky smooth spin. The rear wheel has gone back under warranty, I noticed the front was a little stiff so have just stripped both bearings, hopefully caught that one in time. That's just 400 wet miles on so called sealed bearings.

As much as we would like to think the opposite, road bikes are not meant to be ridden in the rain. A proper hybrid commuting bicycle like you see in Germany will be fine for many thousands of wet miles, but flimsy sub 10 Kg equipment is not...

Road bikes 'not meant to be ridden in the rain' - seriously? What is it about sub-10kg bikes which makes them more prone to water damage than over-10kg bikes? And who set the bar at 10kg?
  • Imposter wrote:

Road bikes 'not meant to be ridden in the rain' - seriously? What is it about sub-10kg bikes which makes them more prone to water damage than over-10kg bikes? And who set the bar at 10kg?

C'mon imposter, don't be picky... if you find a bike with a proper threadless headset, cartridge bottom bracket, ball bearings with balls of at least 4 mm, rims with enough alloy around them to tolerate a couple of wet winters and tyres that do not disintegrate when you ride them in a wet winter, all of this for under 10 Kg... then you are doing something good.

Yes, all race bikes can be ridden occasionally in the rain.. for regular use they are not suitable... of course it's all relative... if you are happy to bin them every couple of years, whilst in the meantime you spend money replacing parts, then fine, then they are suitable... but it's not what I mean :wink:
  • cpc1985
    cpc1985 Posts: 4
    Hi,

Igniting this old thread as I have a grinding with my front Fulcrum Racing Quattro and I have been unable to figure out how to remove the bearings and take the axle out to give it a service. I have had no luck with you tube etc, if anyone has experience and is willing to explain please let me know.
    Thanks