Shimano RS31 or Mavic aksium

Sharky999
Sharky999 Posts: 103
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi folks about to embark on a custom build on a bit of a budget, looking at both the wheel sets above and would like to gauge your opinions.

Will be mainly used for getting fit and the odd sportive.
Cheers

:)

Comments

• IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    You can't go wrong with either mate, they're both spot on, bombproof wheels.The Mavic would probably be cheaper than the RS31s when you factor in the tyres and tubes that come with the Aksiums. It could be down to simply which ones would match your frame better.

Out of curiosity, what frame are you using?
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • Thanks for your reply, I picked up this frame yesterday,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281263065496?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Hope the link works
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    The RS31s are noticeably heavier.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    I don't suppose you live anywhere near Chester do you?
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • DiscoBoy wrote:
    I don't suppose you live anywhere near Chester do you?

Afraid not, I'm near aberdeen.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    There's not much between them. The Mavics are indeed lighter but the RS31 hubs are easier to maintain and a bit cheaper (I got mine for ~£105 from Ribble in November).

Both wheels are very decent yet basic all rounders that I use as winter wheels in a lumpy part of the world. I would probably buy some more Aksiums next time around but if you are commuting or live somewhere a little flatter then the RS31s would be a good vfm choice. The 30mm rims do look more bling but make no tangible difference to cruise speeds, just add weight IMO.

If you can afford better, look at options like Krysium or RS81 (or handbuilts), which would put a spring in your step.