Louis Garneau shoes - any good?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Am thinking of getting some new shoes, currently run SPDs but thinking of moving up to a 3 bolt system for more stability, etc

Anyone got any experience of these shoes, particularly in terms of fit - I've relatively wide feet - would I need to 'size up', for example?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• In case you didn't know, I think Evans cycles have exclusive access to the LG brand. I've never seen them anywhere else anyway.

I have some Ventilator 2 shoes, I've had them three months now. They are nicely stiff and pretty light. The straps do their job and I've never felt that they were too loose or anything. A ratchet would be nice but then that's something else to break I suppose.

I would say they are wearing ok but this current winter isn't really a fair test ! They have been through torrential rain and even a few floods and have always polished up ok. Mine have a tear in one of the white fabric vents but that was from sliding along the road when my gatorskins turned into ice skates.

Not bad for the cash (I think I paid £52) as a stepping stone to something better.

I used mine with some 2 bolt spd and M520 pedals for a fortnight then moved to 3 bolt spd-sl with R550 pedals. I thought I'd also use them with my old bike which is still 2 bolt but in truth I just put on my touring shoes if I want to ride that.

As for sizing, my shimano touring shoes are 47, my LGs are 48. I tried the 47 but they were just a little too snug to be comfortable. I take an 11.5 roughly in a regular shoe and have a wideish foot.

I would definitely go 1 size up as you can always use the straps to fasten them down firmly.

Hope that's helped

Kev.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Great - thanks - was interested to hear that they size up well

hmmmm...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have the top of the range MTB ones which I really like.
    Have now bought the top of the range road ones but not used them yet.

I am a 45 in Specialized and 46 in Louis Garneau so you need to go a size up I would say.
    Road shoes will come up smaller than MTB too.

I find them a little wide so could be good for you.
    I find them good quality.
    Always wanted Lake road shoes (they come up even wider IMO) but did not like them in the end so got the LG.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,975
    I've got LG Revo XR3 and I'm very pleased with them. I've had them for a year or so. I don't use them on my winter bike which has SPD pedals so can't really comment on their warmth. I ride in France for quite a bit of the year and have found the ventilation good in mid-30s temperatures. Comfort has been good and I like their ratchet system.
    As to sizing... I'm usually a 43, my LGs are 45.

They seem to be wearing well... I've probably done about 5,000 miles in them and no problems.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • I was very interested in the 2LS model until I read the reviews on line, see link below:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/clothing/shoes/product/review-louis-garneau-course-2ls-shoe-13-47572/
  • Anonymous
    Just put my Shimano cleats on my 2LS shoes and they do look a bit twisted.
    No way I am putting shims on so will try clipping into pedals and see what gives.

Thinking they might have to go back :-(
    Had seen that review before getting them but was hoping my pair would be ok.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Also have the Revo XR3 from Evans, also have LG shoes for my mtb.
    The Revo seem to be good shoes, but I've never really spent a ton of cash on my road shoes so not really able to compare the difference with a really expensive pair.
    Like has been said though, I'm normally a 42, had to get a 43 in LG. The straps and ratchety thing is good and I get a good comfortable fit. (Never even think about them when I'm out on a ride tbh)
  • Anonymous
    Carbonator wrote:
    Just put my Shimano cleats on my 2LS shoes and they do look a bit twisted.
    No way I am putting shims on so will try clipping into pedals and see what gives.

Thinking they might have to go back :-(
    Had seen that review before getting them but was hoping my pair would be ok.

Have just clipped in and they seem fine. Easy to clip in/out of and no prob with float.

I looked at shoe/cleat when attached to pedal and it does not seem to be important that the front is not 100% parallel with rear.
    All it does is hook under the pedal. Its not even the same shape so nothing is really out of line when its clipped in.

I was going to see how flat a Shimano cleat is on other shoes but I cannot really be bothered now.