New Wheels - Mavic

DonBike
DonBike Posts: 35
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
I currently ride a Boardman Comp which I love. It still has the Mavic CXP22 wheelset it came with.

I was wondering whether an upgrade of the wheelset would make a significant difference to the feel of the bike, in particular when climbing.

I am thinking either Mavic Aksiums or Krysiums.

Simply put - is it worth it and will I notice a significant difference?

For information, I use the bike primarily for sunday runs.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    I guess it depends on your budget. If you are only using for Sunday runs then I would stick with what you have.

It will make a difference as they will weigh a little less. I have a set of Ksyrium SL's and currently using them for my winter bike. For Summer I have a pair of Rolf Prima Vigors with scwalbe tyres.

So if you have the spare cash, theres no harm having an extra set. But you will have to make sure its compatible cassette and indexing of gears.

Another idea is change your choice of tyres? This may give better rolling?
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I noticed a difference going from CXP22's to Fulcrum Racing Ts (7 rims, 5 hubs) - so in answer to your question - yes you will notice the difference with a better wheelset.

As to whether it's worth it? Totally subjective and depends what you think is money well spent.
  • A good upgrade in wheels will always make more difference to the feel and performance of the bike than upgrading a groupset for example in my opinion.

I dont believe I would feel any real difference in performance if I upgraded my 105 to Ultegra but I did feel a difference when I upgraded my wheels to Krysium SLs
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    So what is the outcome? Planning to spend some cash to get some shiny new wheels? Get new rubber too :)
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I upgraded from the CXP22's that came as standard on my Roubaix to some Ksyrium Equipes. Whilst the CXP22s were pretty bombproof, I've ridden the Equipes all through winter with no problems, still run smooth and true. The Equipes were lighter and I thought accelerated and climbed better. I thought it was worth upgrading...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    I have the same bike and have changed to Aksiums.
    The main reason for the change was water ingress wrecked the rear bearings on the original wheels.
    I did feel that there was a difference - felt faster and a bit harsher but it could just have been in the mind :-)
    I have now changed the tyres to 25mm Schwalbe Durano.
    I have a wheelset that I am very content with. The wheels remain true and zero maintenance and the tyres don't puncture like the original Vittoria Zaffiros.