chain for 5603 triple

keef66
keef66 Posts: 13,123
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
I have a 6 year old 105 triple on my wet weather bike. I'll need a new chain soon (and probably cassette). 5700 series chains seem quite a bit cheaper than 5600 (and KMC too) but I see that Shimano specifies the 5701 chain is for double chainsets only.

Presumably this is because of the more extreme chain-line if cross-chaining at the extremes on a triple?

If I only use the 6 biggest sprockets when in the granny ring, and the 6 smallest when in the big ring, I'll be subjecting the chain to no more sideways deflection than with a double. So would you think I'd be safe with a 5701 chain??

Comments

• gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    According to the shimano techdocs, they only produce 5600 and 5701 chains in 10 speed. I reckon it's safe to assume that they send out 5701 chains with triple groupsets then.
  • keef66
    On the tech docs for the newer 5703 triple crankset they specify 3 (older) chains: CN-5600, CN-6600 and CN-7801.

5600 is becoming harder to find and the 5701 is widely available and significantly cheaper. Think I'm going to give it a go, avoid cross chaining, and see what happens.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Avoid the chains which have a "right way round" if you have a triple. The later 5701 stuff is much better at the greater offset you get with them.
  • keef66
    mattv wrote:
    Avoid the chains which have a "right way round" if you have a triple. The later 5701 stuff is much better at the greater offset you get with them.

CN-5701 does have a right way round. I'm still going to try one though; to my simple mind if I avoid the extremes of cross chaining I'll be subjecting it to no more sideways stress than if it were on a double.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    your have a 6 year old chain?

that's good going! especially if it is your wet weather bike!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • keef66
    No, it's not 6 years old :D

4 chains in 6000 miles so I'm now thinking about new chain and cassette. Just wondering if I could get away with the cheaper option...
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    There was some talk awhile back about why Shimano recommended against 5700, 6700, 7900 chains on their triples and it has never been answered with any certainty by Shimano or anyone else but the most suspect issue is the grooved links tended to crack with the more extreme chain angles of triples. Shimano apparently redesigned the chains as a fix and added the '01' designation. My neighbor took my advice (after being told by his bike shop that he needed an expensive Dura-Ace 7800 chain :x ) and installed a KMC X10.93 chain on his 6700 triple and it works flawlessly, better durability and less expensive as well plus you get the re-usable link included.