What bike £3000?

Father Faff
Father Faff Posts: 1,176
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Currently have a 2006 Scott CR1 105 and looking to retire it to commuting and bad weather duties. Looking for a bike with impeccable handling, a fun ride, stiff chassis but comfortable, preferably light, non-aggressive riding position, fast. So far I've tried:

Scott Addict Ultegra 2014 (54cm) Too small a frame for me but enjoyed the ride - light and lively. Like to try a 56cm.
Colnago CX Zero Ultegra 2014 (54cm) Comfortable fit with a shorter stem. Stiff chassis, good handling, super competent but just didn't feel particularly fast or lively.
Colnago M10 Campag Athena - the bike I tried was far too small and low and killed my back within 20 miles but an exciting ride!

What else should I have a go on? My good LBS stocks Colnago, Scott, Ridley and Cervelo. I've always been put off Cervelos by tales of snapping frames and I'm not light at 85kg but I suppose the R3 is one to try? I'm also trying to get hold of a Colnago CLX3.0 to try as I hear that is racier than the CX Zero.

Should I try anything else? My preference would be for an Ultegra equipped bike. if it has half decent wheels so much the better.
Commencal Meta 5.5.1
Scott CR1

Comments

• Canyon or a rose?
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    If your Lbs has Ridleys why not a Fenix?(think a Helium is more expensive)
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • non-aggressive riding position, fast.

I've always been put off Cervelos by tales of snapping frames and I'm not light at 85kg but I suppose the R3 is one to try?

I probably wouldn't go for an R3 if you want a non-aggressive riding position.

Have you considered a Domane? Or something titanium?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Emx3 di2 in a 45cm from ubyk, just under 3k and one of the stiffest comfortable frames
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Emx3 di2 in a 45cm from ubyk, just under 3k and one of the stiffest comfortable frames

The OP would need a 48cm wouldn't he?
    I am 6'1" and a 48 fits like a snug glove. Definitely not to big at all.

winstanleys bikes have one for £2400.
    Its personal taste of course but its the nicest looking EMX I have seen (colour and wheel wise) and they look really nice anyway.
    That bike would look stunning in the flesh if you like a bit of shape to your frame.

Not sure the OP should go for 10 speed/old Di2 but it would be a fantastic bike with hundreds of pounds left over.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    So you've tried 2 bikes which the ride felt good and have stated that both bikes were the wrong sizes resulting in one giving you back pain.

Have you not thought of trying both those bikes in the correct size ?

Just to add there are a shitload of very good bikes at that price point.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    How about the new Cannondale Synapse Carbon? The Ultegra version gets a good review here.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    I got a Look 675 Black White Red last November. The ride is superb and well worth a test ride.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Its such a personal decision that its pretty impossible to say what bikes to go look at.
    I ride a Madone 4.7, previously had a TCR1 and winter ride is a Domane 2.0. I spent close to £3k with upgrades on the Madone, personally I love it and to me it is money well spent. Others however may look at the spec of Trek and think better value can be had elsewhere (Plant X, Canyon etc).
    Test riding a bike that is not the correct size is a bit of a waste, you're not going to get off the bike feeling overly enamoured by it.
    Lots of good suggestions by other guys here, just a case of visiting as many LBS's as you can.
  • Depends if you're looking for something similar to your CR1, just new, then I would go for the Trek Domane 5.2. Or if you're looking for something much more racey of which they are a vast number of options at that price point, including the Madone 5.2. But personally I think I would only choose Trek if going for the Domane as there are better value bikes.
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Unfortunately finding high-end bikes to test ride in the right frame size is tricky! My LBS managed to get the distributor to send me the CX Zero in the right size to try - I was hoping I'd instantly fall in love as it is a nice machine but unfortunately I didn't despite it being a perfect fit due to its strangely "slow" feel - maybe it needs a 60mph downhill with cobbles to get lively. The other two bikes I tried just happened to be in the shop. I liked the ride of the Scott Addict but it is a lower position than the CX Zero and I'd probably have to flip/raise the bars to get comfy on it. Not sure about the colour scheme though which is dull as dishwater! Cannondale Synapse Carbon certainly gets excellent reviews and sounds like one to try. If my LBS has a Ridley or Cervelo test machine I will no doubt give them a go too. I've heard good things about BMC Granfondos but not seen one anywhere.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Giant Propel Advanced.

I'm a similar weight and love mine.