Front derailleur issue

thefd
thefd Posts: 1,021
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Hi all,

I have a bike with 105 (5700) on it. My summer bike which hasn't had much use lately. I decided to go for a spin on it today, but noticed that the front derailleur would not move from small ring to big. On closer inspection although I could move the lever the derailleur wasn't moving at all.

I went out on my winter bike instead...

Just back and decided to replace the cable - it is internally threaded, and there was a fair amount of gook inside (not excessive). I put the new cable on, however the derailleur still won't move. I can move it manually with my fingers.

Is this a sign that the fault is the derailleur itself or is it the shifters? Sometimes when moving the whole shifter the inside shifter gets stuck out (it pops straight back in - so not stuck physically).

Or is the problem lack of use and being kept in the garage (which is dry) hasn't done it too much good?
2017 - Caadx
2016 - Cervelo R3
2013 - R872
2010 - Spesh Tarmac

Comments

• Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    pivots and spring on front mech need cleaning and lubricating and generally freeing up. I would hazard a guess that your bike doesn't have a full rear mudguard and has occasionally been out in crap weather?
  • attach the cable to the derailleur ;)
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • thefd
    Semantik wrote:
    pivots and spring on front mech need cleaning and lubricating and generally freeing up. I would hazard a guess that your bike doesn't have a full rear mudguard and has occasionally been out in crap weather?
    Correct - but not been out too often in crap weather. I'll have a play with the front mech and try and see if it needs freeing up. Thanks!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • thefd
    Ok, got it running - but the shifter takes a huge amount of effort to change from the small ring up to the big ring. Any further ideas?
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Semantik
    TheFD wrote:
    Ok, got it running - but the shifter takes a huge amount of effort to change from the small ring up to the big ring. Any further ideas?

And how does the mech function if you move it BY HAND? Does it move easily or takes a huge amount of effort?
  • thefd
    Takes quite a bit of effort...

I have completely cleaned it (it was really quite clean to start with) and sprayed WD40 all over all the springs and joints. The bike is 1 year old - so not an old bike.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Semantik
    Soak the mech pivots in lube again and do this repeatedly over next couple of days. If still not moving I would take the mech off and give it a good soaking in a bath of oil overnight then manipulate it by hand repeatedly until you get it moving more freely. presume the sti shifter moves freely enough without the cable attached?