Does a rear mech hanger need to support the wheel?

Cold Knees
Cold Knees Posts: 82
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Help please.

I recently bought a second hand frame which didn't come with the rear mech hanger. It was advertised as such and pointed out in the description and on the pictures so I have no issues with the guy who sold it to me, (who has been more than helpful).

However the frame is a RTS TTR3 and the rear mech hangers are not available anywhere. I have been in touch with the RTS UK distributor and with RTS themselves who both confirmed this particular hanger is no longer used and they don't have any stock.

I can probably get hold of a very similar hanger from the local bike workshop centre and may need to drill & tap the holes to suit the fixing to the frame.

But my concern is does the hanger also need to help support the wheels and my weight? Or is the hanger needed only for the support and positioning of the rear mech? Hope this makes sense.

Any advice may prevent me from wrecking a perfectly good frame !!

Mark

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    A decent LBS may be able to help you - perhaps a framebuilder like Argos or Mercian might have something?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    There are third party suppliers on Ebay that list all sorts of hangers and the frames they are suitable for. Worth having a look there.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cheers lads,

I have already tried the local bike shops who don't have anything to match exactly.

BETD sent an email back to say they haven't produced this model previously and would need and original to copy. I don't know where to start on Ebay and would be guessing, none of the sellers list RTS.

Think my best bet is to take the frame to the repair centre, find a hanger to roughly fit the frame and position the mech. I might need to grind the edges of the hanger a bit, and re-drill a couple of holes to match the hole positions on the frame.

My worry is that hanger edges would not match the internal edges of the frame where it sits. Does the frame need to sit on the hanger's top edge to help support my weight?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Some mech hangers seem to form part of the dropout and some appear to be completely separate from it. Depends entirely on the frame. Are the dropouts on your frame the same on the drive and non drive sides?

• The drive side drop out is half cut-out as the pic attached. This is why I think the hanger will be needed to help support the weight on the frame.
  • No-one seems to have answered your original question; No; the rear mech hanger does not normally have any role in supporting the wheel nor your weight. Even if it is integrated with the rear dropout, it still have no structural function other than to support the rear mech.

I suggest you try to find a hanger that is as close as possible and modify it to suit. Just make sure you don't weaken the hanger or you might find it breaking off when it shouldn't. Note that it is meant to break before your frame does in the event of a crash.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    In that case the mech hanger will need to be the right shape and the right thickness so that once installed the dropouts are the same. Tricky one.

Can you befriend somebody with access to an engineering shop?
  • Cheers gents,

Will give it a go and hope for the best. Might just take in easy for the first few miles.

Thanks again for the input. Mark
  • There are a few here. One might be suitable for modification. No.6 looks a likely candidate

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement-R ... 3a8bb3065d

Bear in mind that, once clamped by the QR it will be secure. The securing bolts are only really there to aid alignment and to stop it dropping off when you take the wheel out.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    If you're visually challenged like me you can make a replica hanger form by just covering the hanger area with some type of lube (chain lube, grease, oil, etc.) and drip some wax, clay, etc. in the cutout and once hardened just pop it off and you'll at least have an actual form to look at for comparisons. This site that nicklouse mentioned http://www.derailleurhanger.com seems to have the largest selection for comparisons. Select the 3 hole option to narrow it down a bit.