Target price for Mavic Ksyrium Elite / SLS

klargon
klargon Posts: 18
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Think I've decided that a set of Ksyrium's will be the wheels I go for on my new bike. Both the Elite and SLS seem to be pretty close to RRP at the moment from what I can see. I was just trying to get an idea for what should be considered a decent price. I can get the SLS for just over £500 from a private seller, but obviously I'd rather buy from a shop. Are any stores likely to entertain one-off discounts if I ask?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• 4thebike.de

Bought a set of Ksyrium Elite WTS for <£320 prior to Christmas.
    Still available as below link - €370 + delivery.
    http://www.4thebike.de/laufraeder/rennr ... 0os2bmnne5
  • Just bought some 2014 Elites from 4thebike.de for just over £300, don't know if they are still doing them.
  • banditvic wrote:
    Just bought some 2014 Elites from 4thebike.de for just over £300, don't know if they are still doing them.
    Me too.
  • That looks a good price. Will there be any issues with the warranty by purchasing abroad? Also, do you know if these are definitely 2014? Cheers for the replies.

EDIT: Can I trust that site? If I try to check out without logging in/registering, it seems to bring up the shipping details for "Mr John Strawhorn"!
  • Worked for me. Seems to have worked for the other posters too.

If in doubt, call them. Their English is better than my German
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    klargon wrote:
    That looks a good price. Will there be any issues with the warranty by purchasing abroad? Also, do you know if these are definitely 2014? Cheers for the replies.

EDIT: Can I trust that site? If I try to check out without logging in/registering, it seems to bring up the shipping details for "Mr John Strawhorn"!

I was considering a set of these and was speaking to a riding buddy who is the manager at a LSB about Mavic warranty, in particular on heavily discounted Elites. He tells me no OFFICIAL Mavic stockist is allowed to discount so heavily and companies that do are more than likely selling OEM wheels bought in bulk. This he said is all well and good until you need to make a warranty claim. Each wheelset has serial number and Mavic will not honour any warranty claim in any way shape or form for a wheel that isn't an official retail product.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    klargon wrote:
    That looks a good price. Will there be any issues with the warranty by purchasing abroad? Also, do you know if these are definitely 2014? Cheers for the replies.

If there is an issue and the shop do want to resolve it, you'll probably need to return them at your own expense and recover the cost from the manufacturer - that was my experience anyway. It's certainly more hassle than the UK online shops.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • PaulMon wrote:
    klargon wrote:

I was considering a set of these and was speaking to a riding buddy who is the manager at a LSB about Mavic warranty, in particular on heavily discounted Elites. He tells me no OFFICIAL Mavic stockist is allowed to discount so heavily and companies that do are more than likely selling OEM wheels bought in bulk. This he said is all well and good until you need to make a warranty claim. Each wheelset has serial number and Mavic will not honour any warranty claim in any way shape or form for a wheel that isn't an official retail product.

Certainly don't look to OEM to me, full retail packaging with manuals etc. Including the tags hanging off the hubs.