shimano saint MX80

simonowen
simonowen Posts: 9
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Has anyone bought the shimano saint pedals?
If so are they any good?

Comments

• had them for a year now.

no complaints. very tough pedal
  • Have used them for about 6 months

When you get them, just remove the pins and ditch the small washers, and then they are a whole lot better
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have a set. They look nice but are no better than my superstar nano pedals
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    I got mine for £35, which was cheaper than the Nanos, and they're great, I removed all the washers and put in all the extra pins, they have a nice balance between grip and being able to move my feet, which is nice. They spin nice and smoothly after some seriously gritty Scottish mud too. My shoes are Sombrio.

Oh, and they look great too.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Think I may be getting a pair next week. Looking forward to them!
  • Lewis A
    Sturdy.
  • High weight:cost ratio.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    High reliability:cost ratio
  • Compared to?

I love saint stuff dont get me wrong, but I dont see why you'd want to buy a more expensive, heavier pedal with the same level of grip.

If youre trashing pedals on rocks, I'd work on technique!
  • Compared to the plastic, factory fitted excuse of a pedal that is already fitted...
  • Lewis A
    Peace of mind, and mine were cheaper. If they weren't it would have been a tougher decision.
  • What bike do you have?

I can't imagine that any DH bike (which is what Saint pedals are aimed at) came with plastic pedals.

These are a bargain and only 380g.
    http://www.highonbikes.com/wellgo-mg1-m ... wUt80J_t_c
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    edited February 2014
    Compared to?

I love saint stuff dont get me wrong, but I dont see why you'd want to buy a more expensive, heavier pedal with the same level of grip.

They were cheaper than the Superstars and when I had both on my desk in front of me the difference in weight was hard to tell. I doubt anyone, blindfolded, would have been able to tell which was which.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Compared to?

Wellgo / DMR etc at a similar or slightly lower price.

While I agree that they are a little heavy and a few quid more - the quality of Saints is excellent (bearings, sealing, finish). For me, they're worth a extra few grams and £s

I've not used Superstar pedals so can't comment on them
  • They seem to be popular (mx 80)whatever there pros and cons . I was following a fleebay listing last night ( the cheapest ) and the shop had 10 pairs left when i woke up and checked this morning only 3 left so i hit the buy button . All had gone the following hour ...
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    As much as I liked my Nanos I'm a huge fan of Shimano pedals, SPD's or flats. The old DX I had lasted for donkeys years without a hint of a service. The only gripe I had with them was they were a little on the small and fat side, but then they were designed like 10+ years ago now! The saints look like they combine modern dimensions, bigger platform and thinner and the bearing quality like all shimano pedals will be top notch. The superstars are good but if I still rode flats I'd be running saints on my bikes, especially as you can pick them cheaper than Nanos these days
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    I had a pair but they got ruined pretty quickly. Partly due to myself fiddling. Noticed a click, took em apart, re greased them - no click, sorted, then 2 weeks later - won't even turn. Bought myself some nanos and didnt really notice any difference apart from nanos being slightly bigger.

I'd just go with superstars
  • Northern monkey,

I've just got an entry level trek x caliber 7.

Im just looking to upgrade some of the cheap, flimsy parts of it so that I can get on the trails at cannock chase etc.
  • Superstars or wellgo MG1's would have my money, saints would be overkill!

I downhill on my nano's and never had any issues, think they're about a year and a half old and I've never serviced them!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm too much of a weenie to DH, but my MG1s are 4 or 5 years old and a bit loose now but still going.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools