SRAM levers with Shimano derailleurs

ivanoile
ivanoile Posts: 202
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Would SRAM Red(2012) levers work with Shimano set? Or is the problem about ratio?

I've really enjoyed using Red levers and I would like to get them on my bike,but I'm thinking that I would need to buy at least levers-brakes-derailleurs set.

Right now on the bike is 105 set,with D-A brakes and K-force with Q-rings -

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    A SRAM Force Yaw 22 FD is cheap as anything but works fantastically well with SRAM 10 speed shifters unless you have a BB30 bottom bracket in my experience so far. A SRAM rear derailleur isn't expensive either if you shop around on the internet. I doubt SRAM shifters will work with other derailleurs.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Levers must match rear mech. Sometimes front mech isn't so picky, but I'd be careful mixing with the new 11 speed stuff. As you put it, it's all about ratios of cable pull being different.
  • StillGoing
    A SRAM Yaw 22 FD works better than a standard 10 speed FD with 10 speed shifters and crankset. I originally didn't think it worked when I fitted it to a bike with a BB30 bottom bracket and got interference everywhere, but switching it to a bike with an English thread BB it works better than standard. I can't fathom out why it's cheaper to buy a Yaw 22 FD than a Yaw 10 speed derailleur?
  • ivanoile
    Thank you,but to be precise I was thinking about older 10 speed SRAM Red,not 11-speed.

I'm worried about brakes as they are Dura Ace and I like them.Rear mech if I have to buy new one,would be Force.

So the new things to buy would be: Shifters,rear mech and front mech?
  • You certainly could make it work with the shimano rmech, but you'll need to alter the pull ratio a lot.

Buying a rear mech would be a lot easier!!!

The red levers will work reasonably with the da brakes
  • ivanoile
    So the brakes won't be good as they are now? I mean they wont have the same stopping power?
  • They'll have slightly different power or modulation but it'll be very slight. Try it and see
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    SRAM lever pulls twice as much cable per shift than Shimano so SRAM shifter + Shimano 10 speed mech = 5 speed transmission! Shimano changed their brake cable pull ratio a while back, needing more pull for the same brake pad movement - SRAM levers will therefore need the brake blocks set a little closer and will likely feel a little more on-off.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • StillGoing
    ivanoile wrote:
    Thank you,but to be precise I was thinking about older 10 speed SRAM Red,not 11-speed.

I'm worried about brakes as they are Dura Ace and I like them.Rear mech if I have to buy new one,would be Force.

So the new things to buy would be: Shifters,rear mech and front mech?

That's the point though; I have 10 speed SRAM Red on my main bike, but use a SRAM Yaw 22 FD. Changes on the front are much smoother and as the Yaw 22 FD is cheaper than the 10 speed Yaw, why go to the extra expense.
  • ivanoile
    @philthy3

I see now,Force FD is half price from Red FD :oops: My apologies

Thank you all for help,I'm looking at eBay and similar to find something used to save some money.
    Final decision would be buying FD Force,RD Force and shifters Red.
  • StillGoing
    ivanoile wrote:
    @philthy3

Thank you all for help,I'm looking at eBay and similar to find something used to save some money.

Unless you have a BB30 bottom bracket, I'd go Red 10 speed shifters, Force or Red 10 speed RD and Force Yaw 22 FD.
  • ivanoile
    philthy3 wrote:
    ivanoile wrote:
    @philthy3

Unless you have a BB30 bottom bracket, I'd go Red 10 speed shifters, Force or Red 10 speed RD and Force Yaw 22 FD.

Ah,my Bianchi Sempre has BB30.So Force won't work?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    BB type makes no difference to derailleur or lever choice..
  • StillGoing
    ivanoile wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    ivanoile wrote:
    @philthy3

Ah,my Bianchi Sempre has BB30.So Force won't work?

You misunderstand. A Yaw22 FD is designed for the 11 speed group sets, but it works perfectly well and better than a 10 speed group set when used with 10 speed levers. It doesn't work for some reason when used on a 10 speed bike with a BB30 bottom bracket. It will work with a the full 11 speed group set and BB30 bottom bracket, but that isn't what you're after. I'd read about it not working satisfactorily with BB30 and tried it on the Dolan to find that whilst it would change, there was interference at both extremes. No matter how long I took applying gradual turns of the limit screws, it couldn't be adjusted out. Moving it to the Basso with an English thread BB, it worked fantastically straight away. A 10 speed Force FD works fine with a BB30 bottom bracket bike if that is the route you want to go.

Whilst the previous poster states that the BB type has nothing to do with the derailleur or lever of choice and I agree mostly with that, enough people have found that Yaw 22 with a 10 speed group set and BB30 do not like working together without having chain rub somewhere. It's a shame because the Force Yaw22 FD is cheaper than the standard 10 speed one and works better.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/compon ... 09657.html