Slipping (new) cassette

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,099
edited March 2014 in The workshop
Fitted a new cassette to the old Sirrus the other day, plus new chain, took the opportunity to upgrade the wheels at the same time :lol: (had a pair of Fulcrum R7s lying around)

Anyway, this morning rode into work, all fine until I got to the end - pulling away from some lights I had massive chain slip, which happened 2-3 times pulling away from lights. Am sure I fully tightened the cassette, so what might it be????

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Is your chain the correct length?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • secretsam
    davis wrote:
    Is your chain the correct length?

Good question - might be a tad long. Plus on the Road workshop board, someone suggested a stiff chain link, which might also be true.

Curses.

• owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Do you think it might be slipping on an old chainring rather than a new cassette?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have you re-indexed the rear mech since changing the wheels? could be the new cassette is slightly further in or out resulting in some ghost shifting.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • secretsam
    Both worn chainrings and re-indexing may be an issue, although the rear mech seems to be changing OK

Chain slips 'up and down' the gears before settling, at least that's what it feels like

• The Rookie
    You MUST re-index when changing wheels, the cassette can be as much as a whole tooth out due to differences between wheels and where they put the freehub (On my MTB going from a Shimano hub to a Trizoid the indexing was out by exacly one gear). Sounds to me like that is your problem.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • secretsam
    Right

De-greased the chain and took out a couple of links, no good.

Am beginning to wonder if I put the cassette on tightly enough...

• The Rookie
    Start with the obvious! Index the gears.

Unless the cassette is moving, it's on tight enough (lockring torque - it can't rotate, the splines top that!)
  • secretsam
    The Rookie wrote:
    Start with the obvious! Index the gears.

Unless the cassette is moving, it's on tight enough (lockring torque - it can't rotate, the splines top that!)

Sigh

Anyone got a YouTube guide on "Gear indexing for flummoxed idiots stuck in the 80s"?????