things motorists do which annoy cyclists

2»

Comments

• rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    crispybug2 wrote:
    bushpixy wrote:
    Gotta love those moments where a car overtakes you and then turns left (Right for the US/EU) within 100 yards of the overtake - sigh.

Or those times when you make eye contact with the driver who pulls out in front of you anyway.

When I went out for a ride last Sunday I rode onto the main roundabout near where I live and as I always do I look straight into the windscreen of any car that approaches from the left, by the time I got to the next roundabout about 500 metres down the round the driver who had been approaching from the left of the previous roundabout pulled alongside and said that I had been intimidating her by, and I quote, "Glaring at me like I was some kind of mass murderer!"

You couldn't make it up.

Yes you could :lol:
  • Drivers sitting at traffic lights in stationary traffic, cyclist just behind and on the inside; lights go to green, everyone rolls away and the driver turns left without indicating or flicks the indicator on just as they turn........fekin annoying! They don't even know you're there, though they have had all the time in the world to check their mirrors and obviously realise (most likely) that they are going to turn.
    I'm a driver and check my inside............I also cycle commute so often see this behaviour by drivers several times on each ride :(
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    When they set off while I'm trying to curl out a bum cigar on their bonnet.

F*cking rude.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Drivers sitting at traffic lights in stationary traffic, cyclist just behind and on the inside; lights go to green, everyone rolls away and the driver turns left without indicating or flicks the indicator on just as they turn........fekin annoying! They don't even know you're there, though they have had all the time in the world to check their mirrors and obviously realise (most likely) that they are going to turn.
    I'm a driver and check my inside............I also cycle commute so often see this behaviour by drivers several times on each ride :(

That's never the place to be on a bike, you need to get in front of them ,make sure they see you. If you don't you risk a serious injury or death.

I never take it for granted that a driver can see me.

Play by those rules and you will have less chance of an accident.
  • rayjay wrote:
    Drivers sitting at traffic lights in stationary traffic, cyclist just behind and on the inside; lights go to green, everyone rolls away and the driver turns left without indicating or flicks the indicator on just as they turn........fekin annoying! They don't even know you're there, though they have had all the time in the world to check their mirrors and obviously realise (most likely) that they are going to turn.

That's never the place to be on a bike, you need to get in front of them ,make sure they see you. If you don't you risk a serious injury or death.

True, but if you're in a queue of traffic, you're bound to be behind some cars if it isn't possible to get to the front. Yes, riding up the inside of a line of traffic when cars may be turning left is dicey, but if you stay in the queue no-one can cut across you as they turn. However, it's still possible for you to run into the back of a car which slows to turn without warning, because if they don't signal you're led to believe they are going straight on. I see this every day too, and don't see why everyone in the queue who is going to turn left can't wait there with the indicator flashing, so all behind them know they're going to turn well in advance. Some do this, most don't. I think that's what johnnymcg259 is getting at. It's just annoying rather than dangerous, though, as long as you assume the driver in front may be turning even if they haven't indicated, and hold back until they have actually turned and you're clear to go through.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    rayjay wrote:

True, but if you're in a queue of traffic, you're bound to be behind some cars if it isn't possible to get to the front. Yes, riding up the inside of a line of traffic when cars may be turning left is dicey, but if you stay in the queue no-one can cut across you as they turn. However, it's still possible for you to run into the back of a car which slows to turn without warning, because if they don't signal you're led to believe they are going straight on. I see this every day too, and don't see why everyone in the queue who is going to turn left can't wait there with the indicator flashing, so all behind them know they're going to turn well in advance. Some do this, most don't. I think that's what johnnymcg259 is getting at. It's just annoying rather than dangerous, though, as long as you assume the driver in front may be turning even if they haven't indicated, and hold back until they have actually turned and you're clear to go through.
    Failure to indicate is a problem for everyone on the road, not just cyclists. It annoys me just as much when I'm driving. It seems like more people fail to indicate or indicate incorrectly entering and exiting round-abouts than get it right. You've got to take indicators as a suggestion of probability not a statement of fact! I found drivers in the UK a bit better than they are in Ireland in this respect but regardless - don't trust your life to indicators.
  • Bus drivers indicating 0.001 seconds before pulling out is another one. But you can guard against that by looking at the driver in his right hand mirror as you approach. If he's turned to his left, he's still taking fares. If he's looking ahead, he'll be about to go.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    When a car overtakes and pulls back in rather smartish quite unnecessarily. One knows this a deliberate act of anti cyclist behaviour.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Mr Goo wrote:
    When a car overtakes and pulls back in rather smartish quite unnecessarily. One knows this a deliberate act of anti cyclist behaviour.

Usually it's ignorance. Cyclist == slow, therefore once the overtake is done (i.e. you're out of the line of sight) you can't possibly be an issue. The same ignorance exists with left hooks.
  • Apart from existing, you mean?
  • One of the things that irritates me is when I'm on the main carriageway and a car is waiting at a T junction to turn right on to it. I'm already riding across the space he/she needs to turn across but for some reason they think it's ok to start their manouvre earlier than they would if it were another motor vehicle passing in front of them. I can't understand this as in any event I will be moving more slowly than a car so logically it will take me longer to be out of their way. But they oftentimes start anyway with the result that they have to sort of follow me across the junction until they've levelled off. Net result, they are exactly the same distance from me when we both clear the junction as they would have been if they'd just let me pass and not look like impatient a-holes. Not really dangerous, just a little daft and a little bit I-can-do-what-I-want-I'm-in-a-car attitude.
  • thankfully, not too many cars around here to get upset with, but back in the days of uk living, and the club runs it was almost always a near punch up with a drongo car driver, :lol: some of the crazy stunts folk would pull. is just beyond immagination.
    just happy to be away from it.