Shimano 6800 11 speed chain link options ??

ricey155
ricey155 Posts: 233
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Hi all has anyone had any success with any chain link options ?? shimano 6800 chain

Ideally a reusable version, I don't link the shimano pin option and no option to take it off and clean without a new pin :shock:

google is pretty limited on options it seems campag are upto date but shimano are behind :oops: I see the new length is 5.5m from 5.8 @ 10 speed

KMC do a none resusable version (ok for breakdowns but not cleaning) @ £12 a pop

any options would be great

got a mystery CLICK on the new build and need the chain off :-) and only got the original pin which I guess won't be re usable once popped ?? my 1st shimano chain always used SRAM before

Comments

• dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    I have the kmc10 and have removed the chain to clean it without problem and I would think the kmc11 is the same. Kmc say that you are not to reuse them and they would like you to buy a new one each time you remove your chain. Just carry a spare and reuse the one fitted.
  • ricey155
    cool I did see a site after I posted saying the the KMC is ok with shimano but not re usable, I forgot the sram powerlink option but seems people are only selling 10 speed still and not the new red 22 11 speed links

I'll try the KMC 11 speed £12 is for 2 so not that bad
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    I got a pair of these from Merlin. Running full Ultegra 6800 gruppo, Work fine.

YBNQR11 1 YBN Quick Release Chain Link 11 Speed

£4.78 a pair when purchased in December.
  • ricey155
    Cheers Tim just the job and cheap enough :-) which is even better.

more spending :-)
  • ricey155
    Just my luck outta stock

getting the KMC version instead to try :mrgreen: hopefully problem solved I hate the shimano pin :shock:
  • bikeit65
    bikeit65 Posts: 998
    Will give the YBN link a go, always used the Connex quick link but none available in 11 speed until the summer.
    https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
    Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
    Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    I believe that the KMC 11 speed link is different from 10> speed because it's supposed not to be reusable. But, people often do successfully re use them.

Also, apparently, they are significantly more difficult to use than the 10 speed model, so the KMC pliers could be a good investment if you find yourself struggling.

Anyway, I'll be interested to see how you get on.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • I think you'll find the YBN links are just re-branded KMC's and a fair bit cheaper on the £££'s.

I find it hard to believe that the 11 speeds are not re-useable when the 10 speeds which I've used for years gave me no trouble at all re-using them after a cleaning session.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    I think you'll find the YBN links are just re-branded KMC's and a fair bit cheaper on the £££'s.

I find it hard to believe that the 11 speeds are not re-useable when the 10 speeds which I've used for years gave me no trouble at all re-using them after a cleaning session.

http://www.kmcchain.eu/products-connect ... sing_links
    MissingLink 11 GOLD

Pin length: 5,50 mm
    NON Re-Usable

Patent No. US5291730

MissingLink 11 SILVER

Pin length: 5,50 mm
    NON Re-Usable

Patent No. US5291730

Do you find it easier to believe now?
    Red bikes are the fastest.