I have a mudguard - why is my 'lower back' still muddy?

John_Carter
John_Carter Posts: 87
edited February 2014 in MTB general
Hello,
I have the Crud Catcher twin pack (down tube and rear wheel) installed in my 29" Cube Acid.
The front seems to work fine but the rear doesn't catch anyhting and my back/backpack/jacket is full of mud... Am I missing attic? Is there a solution? My tires are wide Maxxis 2.3 but not that wide and today wasn't even especially muddy/wet compared to usual UK weather.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Someones running behind you throwing mud at you?

No idea, we can't tell as it might be dependent on how your mudguard is currently setup. I have a CC rear mudguard (the one that clips on via your seatpost yeah?) and it's long and wide so shouldnt have this issue.

Could be that it's a 29'er, they're just rubbish.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Can you get it nearer the tyre?
  • It is fairly close to the tire...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Because mud.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    And this is why I don't bother with mud guards... You're gonna get muddy its, a mountain bike for feck sake. Get some decent waterproof kit, some glasses or better yet if you're an "enduro" type some goggles and you're sorted. Haven't used a mud guard of any kind for years and don't intend to. The only one I would consider using is a marsh guard type, just to keep a little bit of mud off glasses/goggles, but tbh, I've never really wished I had one.
  • Mudhugger guard, awesome, back was clean after glentress on sat.
    No question it works and works well, m8s couldn't believe how good they are.
    Cube reaction gtc race 2011 26er, Canyon spectral al 8.0 2014, cube reaction gtc race 2015 29er
    How much for that!!!!!
  • cooldad
    I have a Mucky Nutz thing on the front, keeps some stuff off the stanchions, and a bit out of my eyes, but otherwise what lawman said, and he's the last person I tend to agree with.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    lawman wrote:
    And this is why I don't bother with mud guards... You're gonna get muddy its, a mountain bike for feck sake. Get some decent waterproof kit, some glasses or better yet if you're an "enduro" type some goggles and you're sorted. Haven't used a mud guard of any kind for years and don't intend to. The only one I would consider using is a marsh guard type, just to keep a little bit of mud off glasses/goggles, but tbh, I've never really wished I had one.

My mudguard keeps my pink top clean thanks.

I've not actually used a mudguard in quite a while.
  • wmorgs
    wmorgs Posts: 113
    cooldad wrote:
    I have a Mucky Nutz thing on the front, keeps some stuff off the stanchions, and a bit out of my eyes, but otherwise what lawman said, and he's the last person I tend to agree with.

Love my Mucky Nutz, keeps crap outta my eye :D
  • cooldad
    wmorgs wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

That's sad. What happened to the other one?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    wmorgs wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

That's sad. What happened to the other one?

LMFAO!!!!!!!

The rest I agree with, keeps stanchions cleaner, but damned, mud is mud and it cleans off!! All part of the fun
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Only your lower back ? Can't be trying hard enough.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Just bought myself a Mudhugger to try and protect my new dropper post and stop crud getting into the rear facing seatpost slot. Quite looking forward to having a mud free bum it will be a novelty this winter
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Depends on how you have it set up but you do find most of them are to short in length . Cut a small strip of plastic of a plant pot and stick it on the end and you will stay dry all day .
  • Have you tried road riding as I hear there is less mud there?

Failing that complain to wiggle
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Hello,
    I have the Crud Catcher twin pack (down tube and rear wheel) installed in my 29" Cube Acid.

Is it the longer 29er specific one?
  • Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
    Yes I know riding off road is muddy etc, and I really don't mind being soaking wet, the only reason I'm concerned about 'lower back' mud is because after the ride I usually go back into my car and the leather seats had lots of abuse already...

Good advice re a longer 29er specific mud guard - I'll give it a go.

Thanks!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
    Yes I know riding off road is muddy etc, and I really don't mind being soaking wet, the only reason I'm concerned about 'lower back' mud is because after the ride I usually go back into my car and the leather seats had lots of abuse already...

Thanks!

Well as you're going in a car, why not pack other clothes and change into those when you're done? It's what most people do when they're travelling by car, drive out in your riding kit and always have spare clothes in the car for when you're driving back.
  • cooldad
    I got some cheap seat cover/protector things from Halfords, a few quid and slip on in a few seconds if I'm muddy.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    Bin bag, cos Im a student and therefore poor - or, a spare pair of clothes. One should really expect to get muddy in the UK tbh, and in all honesty, I don't tend to notice when I'm riding anyway.
  • cooldad wrote:
    I got some cheap seat cover/protector things from Halfords, a few quid and slip on in a few seconds if I'm muddy.

This
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    This time of year I'm a drive then cycle commuter. When I get back to the car of an evening, I take my coat off.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    To OP:
    Because you're riding a bloody mountain bike, don't be such a fanny.
    I keep seat covers in my car, and I usually have a change of clothes, as I don't much enjoy driving home with a wet arse.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    cooldad wrote:

this

plus leather seats wipe clean of all sorts of......wait are we in the crudcatcher? no? i'll stop there then :wink:
  • TownyDC
    TownyDC Posts: 157
    Gazcarsf1 wrote:
    Mudhugger guard, awesome, back was clean after glentress on sat.
    No question it works and works well, m8s couldn't believe how good they are.

+1
  • cooldad
    welshkev wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

this

plus leather seats wipe clean of all sorts of......wait are we in the crudcatcher? no? i'll stop there then :wink:

Tarp in the boot for that.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • welshkev wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

this

Mucky Nutz Bender fender had to have been thought of somewhere :lol: brings a whole new meaning to park and ride :mrgreen:
  • lawman wrote:
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Thanks!

Well as you're going in a car, why not pack other clothes and change into those when you're done? It's what most people do when they're travelling by car, drive out in your riding kit and always have spare clothes in the car for when you're driving back.

^^^^^^^^ definitely this!! Always check a spare set of clothes in the car!!
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    ilovedirt wrote:
    To OP:
    I keep seat covers in my car, and I usually have a change of clothes, as I don't much enjoy driving home with a wet ars*.

Careful - I got a warning from a mod for saying fanny. :lol:
  • cooldad
    ilovedirt wrote:
    To OP:
    I keep seat covers in my car, and I usually have a change of clothes, as I don't much enjoy driving home with a wet ars*.

Careful - I got a warning from a mod for saying fanny. :lol:
    Are you sure you didn't get a warning for being one?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools