Strava question

Jules Winnfield
Jules Winnfield Posts: 299
edited February 2014 in Road general
When you have uploaded a ride and you are checking your segment times, why is it that you get some segments that are hidden?

Cheers :D
Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set

Comments

• You may need to subscribe to their premium membership to unlock them. Or defeat 6 end of level bosses.
  • I think its just part of strava's algorithm which includes just showing the more popular routes but you can unhide them for future inclusion.
  • Strava Zen:
    You can hide and unhide Segments to customize which segments will be visible to you throughout Strava.

*Please note that the Run activity pages do not have this feature, and instead use Starred Segments.

In segment-dense areas, it is too hard to display all segments on one ride, so we developed a segment popularity rating. Depending on the number of times a segment is viewed, that segment is either shown on the ride by default or "hidden" due to a low popularity rating.

The user has the ability to customize which segments are show on Activity Detail pages and which are not. By "Hiding" a segment, you vote to decrease its popularity and hide that segment on all of your activities. When you "Unhide" a segment, you increase its popularity rating and vote to show that segment on all of your activities. The overall popularity of a segment will determine whether it will be visible or hidden on your activity pages if you currently don't have preferences set for that segment.

It is important to note that Segment Achievements are only generated upon upload, and ONLY for unhidden segments. Segments that are marked "Hidden" on your Activity page upon upload will not receive any achievements. To get achievements for a hidden segment, first "Unhide" that segment, and then change the activity type to something else, then back again to the proper activity type (this triggers segments to be reset). Or, you can simply contact support by creating a new ticket and we can refresh your achievements for you.
    Hide Segments

In order to hide segments:

Hover over the segment row in the segments tab at the bottom of an activity
    A "Hide" button will appear in the rightmost area of the segment row
    Clicking "Hide" will prevent you from seeing this segment listed under any activity throughout the site
    To view all hidden segment for an activity, simply scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "Show Hidden Segments".

Unhide Segments

Navigate to the activity page that includes a hidden segment
    Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "Show Hidden Segments".
    An "Unhide" button will appear in the rightmost area of the segment row when you mouse over a hidden segment
    Clicking "Unhide" will allow you to seeing this segment on all activity throughout the site
  • Cheers SouthDown, much appreciated :D
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I seem to be hiding an increasing number of segments. Quite why folks feel compelled to start a new segment on a hill with several already is beyond me. I like straightforward "Hill X" that goes start of incline to the crest. Some idiots create "Steep bit", "Bit between the lamp posts", "This bit", "That bit", arrghhhh!
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I seem to be hiding an increasing number of segments. Quite why folks feel compelled to start a new segment on a hill with several already is beyond me. I like straightforward "Hill X" that goes start of incline to the crest. Some idiots create "Steep bit", "Bit between the lamp posts", "This bit", "That bit", arrghhhh!

What about "Bit after halfway feedstop" :lol:
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    tell me about it - there must be about 900 segments on box hill now. I think if you KOM on all of them you get unlimited lives/weapons or something.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • What's Strava?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    What's a KOM?
  • I didn't know that hiding and unhiding segments is also a vote that can affect whether other people see them. Useful information, thanks.

I would still like a "request deletion" option though, that would send whoever created the segment a message along the lines of "This segment is stupid, please make it private or get rid of it." I reckon it would become Strava's most-used feature.
  • I got Strava due to reading this thread - it's very good (and a clever idea).

Just one thing to check though - we all accept the altitude/gradient information is rubbish, right?
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    pipipi wrote:
    What's a KOM?

For most its about who can take the most risks descending, or can go up a 1% gradient with a tailwind following a lorry really fast. The word mountain is lost on 99.9% of Strava users, but I guess thats why I have nearly every segment hidden
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • The no achievements thing on hidden segments is plain daft. You have to change your activity type to something else and back again? Come on!

It doesn't help that the Unhide button it itself hidden! Which is why I didn't know about it until now.
  • madtam
    madtam Posts: 141
    hatch87 wrote:
    For most its about who can take the most risks descending, or can go up a 1% gradient with a tailwind following a lorry really fast.

Just because that's true doesn't mean you are taking my KOM's off me, and anyway I don't think there was a tailwind...
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I have only one KOM. It was where someone did a seg out of a cornish fishing village on an android app and it wandered into the middle of a nearby field alongside the road as android apps tend to do. For some strange reason, my 500 has been the only one to pick that up even though there were 3 other riders ahead of me on the day. It still stands a year later although hundreds must have ridden that way. I cherish my moment of fame...