Narrow wide + guide / just guide / just narrow wide?

alexthebear
alexthebear Posts: 349
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
As I've just found out my Camber has a really akward fitting front mech I've decided I'm going to use this as an excuse to ditch the granny ring that I don't use anyway and convert to a 1 x 9. Question is as above, do I need a narrow wide chainring with a guide or a guide or just a narrow wide ring?

As standard my Camber has NO ISCG mounts at all so any guide would have to be BB mount. Currently using a shimano 11-34t cassette with a 36t at the front but I'm thinking of dropping to 34t if I need to change to narrow wide for better climbing.

What you all got to suggest? Cheers

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Narrow wide works best with a clutch, which means 10 speed.

Try a guide and see how it goes.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I have a both RaceFace Narrow Wide and Work Components Thick Thin chainrings and don't use chainguides and have a standard rear mech, not dropped a chain once in around 9 months of use, it will depend on the terrain you ride though. I would just fit a chainring and see how you go, easy enough to add a guide if you really find you need one.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    I was under the impression that narrow-wide negated the need for guides and essentially stopped chain drops.
  • Cookeh wrote:
    I was under the impression that narrow-wide negated the need for guides and essentially stopped chain drops.

Hense the question really as I was unsure. I see that if using a NW ring you need a clutch mech as well? Think I'll go down the chain guide route first if thats the case due to lack of funds
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    If you have a lack of funds why are you fitting a guide you might not even need, just fit a chainring and ride, if the chain keeps dropping then fit a guide if it doesn't then it's only cost you the chainring. Prove you actually need something first.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh wrote:

Hense the question really as I was unsure. I see that if using a NW ring you need a clutch mech as well? Think I'll go down the chain guide route first if thats the case due to lack of funds

Worth a read - even if it is slightly specific to that chainring one would presume it applies to the tech as a whole as well.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    The way I see it is narrow wide rings are a bit of a gamble, work perfectly for some but not for others. A full chain guide isn't a gamble if it's set up properly and is decent. Good thing is that if you do find the narrow wide not to work you can easily use it with a guide and then just buy a cheaper ring next time.

I'm about to try the narrow wide off my Maxlight on the Marin (it's fitted, just haven't had a chance to ride it yet) without a guide. I'm not going to be surprised if it doesn't work but that doesn't matter because if it doesn't I'll just fit the old ring and full guide back on.

It has never dropped on my Maxlight with a non clutch mech though so it does obviously work and there are plenty of others who are finding the same even under hard riding. I was dropping my chain a lot with a Superstar upper guide and normal single ring before but the Superstar was a bit shit admittedly.

I would say give the narrow wide a shot. There's only about a fiver between the cost of a narrow wide and normal single ring so you're not gambling much. A clutch mech will cost you less than a decent guide anyway and they are good.
  • WindyG wrote:
    If you have a lack of funds why are you fitting a guide you might not even need, just fit a chainring and ride, if the chain keeps dropping then fit a guide if it doesn't then it's only cost you the chainring. Prove you actually need something first.

Sorry should have mentioned in the OP that the reason I'm doing all this is because I am dropping chain at least once a ride and always at the front. I am currently x2 at the front with a direct mount triple mech so cannot fit it lower to account for the lack of big ring. I can't afford to fix problems that don't exsist so only solve the ones that do :)
    Cookeh wrote:

+
    peter413 wrote:
    The way I see it is narrow wide rings are a bit of a gamble, work perfectly for some but not for others. A full chain guide isn't a gamble if it's set up properly and is decent. Good thing is that if you do find the narrow wide not to work you can easily use it with a guide and then just buy a cheaper ring next time.

I'm about to try the narrow wide off my Maxlight on the Marin (it's fitted, just haven't had a chance to ride it yet) without a guide. I'm not going to be surprised if it doesn't work but that doesn't matter because if it doesn't I'll just fit the old ring and full guide back on.

It has never dropped on my Maxlight with a non clutch mech though so it does obviously work and there are plenty of others who are finding the same even under hard riding. I was dropping my chain a lot with a Superstar upper guide and normal single ring before but the Superstar was a bit shoot admittedly.

I would say give the narrow wide a shot. There's only about a fiver between the cost of a narrow wide and normal single ring so you're not gambling much. A clutch mech will cost you less than a decent guide anyway and they are good.

= Perfect info thanks. I am now off to find me a 34t NW chainring :mrgreen:
  • Cookeh
    CRC and Wiggle (I know, I know) have the same RaceFace chain featured in that article for £40-45 depending on bolt circle size.
  • peter413
    The Work's are only £35. The only reason I have a Raceface is because the Works wasn't available in red when I bought it. Only reason I would buy the Raceface again is if it was the same price, the Work's wasn't available or I was getting one of those fancy 30t ones (that's the plan for the Marin if it does work without a guide).
  • Does the works come in red? I want red now you've mentioned it lol
  • Can you only access the works via Facebook or something?
  • peter413
    They have a proper website. Search Works Components. Think red is out of stock at the moment though.
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    Had my first proper outing with my raceface NW 32t with no guide last night. No dropped chain, however the terrain, despite being a mud fest wasn't that technical. I have a standard xt long cage on the back with a 42t big sprocket on the cassette.

So far so good, but if I'm being honest I'm a bit nervous about dropping it on faster, bumpier terrain, time will tell.
  • Looking at a 34t from works, what were their delivery times like? Also those that are using NW rings are you using a bash with them as well?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I'm running a 34t narrow wide with a clutch mech, no probs so far. I did a lot of reading and there are plenty of people running the same set up with no clutch mech and it works fine.

Hope have recently released their version as well.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • I did a lot of reading and there are plenty of people running the same set up with no clutch mech and it works fine.

Hope have recently released their version as well.

I'm finding that out as well now :D

I'll have a look for the Hope one but I can imagine it's pricey