Campagnolo 11 Speed Jockey Wheel Appeal

uncle_buk
uncle_buk Posts: 89
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Long story (which I won't bore anyone with here), but after a road side mechanical last week I've managed to lose the little metal dust cap off a Campagnolo 11 speed jockey wheel from the rear mech. Before I rush out an buy a none too inexpensive replacement pair of replacement jockey wheels (seemingly, the only way to get hold of the dust cap) I wondered if anyone had one knocking about in their spares box. I think the 10 speed version also fits so I'd be happy with either. Willing to pay plus postage and will even ask my yoga instructor to do some extra-special karma inducing chanting for you too!

Seriously, any help gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• I'm sure i have a few in the workshop - will look tonight and let you know. They will be the 10 speed version but I think you are correct in assuming they will fit the 11 speed jockey wheel

john
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Nope the 10s version are not compatible with the 11s

I did exactly the same thing a couple of years ago and ended up having to buy new ceramic bearing replacements for about £39!
  • Velonutter wrote:
    Nope the 10s version are not compatible with the 11s

I did exactly the same thing a couple of years ago and ended up having to buy new ceramic bearing replacements for about £39!
    You are right -the 10 speed version are stamped 10 -sorry I don't have 11 speed ones
  • Thanks for the replies chaps - much appreciated.

John, I've sent you a PM because I would be interested in trying the 10 speed dust caps just on the off chance that they may work as an interim measure.

Cheers
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    uncle buk wrote:
    Thanks for the replies chaps - much appreciated.

John, I've sent you a PM because I would be interested in trying the 10 speed dust caps just on the off chance that they may work as an interim measure.

Cheers

They won't fit, the diameter for the recess on the 11 speed is different to the 10 speed, I tried all sorts of combinations and ended up buying replacements.
  • Bugger. Don't suppose you have a spare one then, Velonutter?
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Here's a thought. Get to the local hardware store and find a rubber o-ring that'll sit in the dust cap recess - maybe two if one fits all the way in, then the other can be added to just stand proud. My local shop has a box of rings of a ridiculous number of diameters. Then get a thin washer of a similar diameter and hole to the original cap that'll sit over the top and seal against the o-ring.

Alternatively, find another way that'll bodge a bit of a seal/protection. the worse that could happen is that the bearing will deteriorate quickly and you'll need to buy a new jockey wheel - which you'd have to do anyway if you can't find a replacement cover.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Hi - I think you meant 'uncle buk', not me. But thanks anyway.

PS, but if you have a chorus groupset lying around... ;)