Talk to me about bags to hold tools/spares

fat_tail
fat_tail Posts: 786
edited February 2014 in Commuting chat
My Topeak wedge has finally bitten the dust and has been consigned to the bin after many years of faithful (if somewhat reluctant) service in contravention of rule 31. I am looking for a replacement that is rule 31 compliant that can hold a spare tube, levers, chain tool and Allen key. Any suggestions ? Any views on the product from Lezyne called Caddy Sack ?
Ridley Fenix SL

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    How thirsty do you get when riding? I leave all that clobber in a wide-mouthed bidon and put it in one of the bottle cages of the bike.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    sod rule 31 .... I've got the wedges on the back of my bikes - enough to hold 2 tubes, instant patches, tool inc chain break, tyre levers and a tyre boot ...

it just makes sense ...

no point putting it all in an old water bottle - I may need that spot during the summer ...
  • Rule 29, all day long. Flanders killed my last one, i've never looked back.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • DrLex wrote:
    How thirsty do you get when riding? I leave all that clobber in a wide-mouthed bidon and put it in one of the bottle cages of the bike.

I use a purpose-made BBB tool canister that fits into the bottle holder. It's excellent
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Talk to you about bags to hold tools/spares?

OK then. You can get bags to hold tools and spares. Often they can be mounted to your saddle - either via straps or a more convenient click system. A good alternative is to use a tool bottle which fits in one of your bottle holders but those are not so handy in summer when it is hotter and you need more fluid. Some folk say you don't need one at all anyway and you should put all your tools in your jersey pockets. They then mumble something incomprehensible about some daft rule you are supposed to follow but by that time you have sensible already clicked 'pay now' on your choice of online retailers website.

Is that enough or do you need any more? :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I use a purpose-made BBB tool canister that fits into the bottle holder. It's excellent

Got one and it drives me crackers. Doesn't matter what I stuff it with it still rattles. Use a wedge pack under the seat where the fastening strap compresses the contents so nothing rattles.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I use a purpose-made BBB tool canister that fits into the bottle holder. It's excellent

Got one and it drives me crackers. Doesn't matter what I stuff it with it still rattles. Use a wedge pack under the seat where the fastening strap compresses the contents so nothing rattles.

I have one - I just put a bit of kitchen towel in the top and it's sorted. Easy!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    Rolf F wrote:
    Talk to you about bags to hold tools/spares?

OK then. You can get bags to hold tools and spares. Often they can be mounted to your saddle - either via straps or a more convenient click system. A good alternative is to use a tool bottle which fits in one of your bottle holders but those are not so handy in summer when it is hotter and you need more fluid. Some folk say you don't need one at all anyway and you should put all your tools in your jersey pockets. They then mumble something incomprehensible about some daft rule you are supposed to follow but by that time you have sensible already clicked 'pay now' on your choice of online retailers website.

Is that enough or do you need any more? :lol:

the tool bottle sounds good - it never gets that hot in the summer. Rules are rules. Rule 1 : Obey the rules Rule 2: Lead by example
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • Rolf F wrote:

I have one - I just put a bit of kitchen towel in the top and it's sorted. Easy!

I use a couple of latex-style gloves because you only ever get a puncture in filthy conditions... :roll:
    I can even fit a micro pump in the thing. In fact, in mine I often have:
    Micro pump
    2x lightweight tubes
    2x CO2 canisters plus inflator
    Pair inspection gloves
    Chain link
    Mini tool Lezyne
    Tyre lever
    Park patches
    Pair of disc brake pads and clip
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH