Which Hybrid should I go for?

axyl_grinder
axyl_grinder Posts: 2
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
I have received a £600 Cycle to work scheme voucher and want to buy a hybrid bike that will be used to ride to the station and also be used at weekend for simple trail riding/tow paths etc. (I already have a Cannondale that I use for my pure road riding.)

I have short list of possible bikes...
    Trek 8.4 DS £600 Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc £550 Scott Sportster 30 £600 Scott Sportster 40 £550 Boardman MX Comp £600

Trek has been recommended by a few people, but the components look lesser quality compared to the rest, (and the frame is a bit of a funny shape when it joins the stem!)
The Specialized bikes are very popular. Fairly good components and readily available, but I thought it felt a bit heavy.
THE Scott bikes are well spec'd up, especially the 30 AND both have the Shimano Hydraulic disc brakes that I hear are the best ones. The Sportster 40 is £50 cheaper and possibly looks better?
The Boardman is well spec'd and I love the smooth welds and seems to be the lightest of the bunch. And is readily available.

The question is which do I go for. I always read I should try out each one and see which one suits me best. I agree with that to a point. The problem is its very hard to even see these bikes in stock anywhere, and rarely two or more in the same place.
Evans sell the top 5 listed, but my local stores have none in stock, and that's Canary Wharf, Chiswick, Farnborough, Reading. Only Guildford has the Sportster 40 but in the wrong size! I have seen the Boardman. It looks ok. I saw the Specialized in a silvery grey. It looked a bit plain. I have never even seen a Scott!

I'm just not sure where to go to see the bikes in one place.

Does anyone have any ideas.?

Or can anyone add more bikes to my list of the £500 - £600 range?

Comments