Best bibs up to £70?

Andyh4324
Andyh4324 Posts: 58
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
As title really I've been looking at some new bibs for this year and always hear good things about dhb stuff so maybe the DHB Aeron Pro Cycling Bib or maybe the Castelli Velocissimo Team Bib. Any opinions of either? I have a Castelli jersey so I know they make some good stuff, but don't know what their bibs are like. Or are there are some other good bibs for under £70 on Wiggle? (I have a voucher so must be from there) Your experiances would be really welcome.

Comments

• yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    The DHBs are excellent IMO and are good value. Very comfy and seem to cope well with daily use and washing. Perhaps not as durable as the Endura I had before but they are comfier, at least for me.
    I don't have experience with Castelli...
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    I have DHB Vaeon Zero and they are superb. Sizing is bang on and they are comfy. The only downside is when they get really wet the places that have extra padding to cut out the wind get sodden and cold.
  • PaulMon wrote:
    The only downside is when they get really wet the places that have extra padding to cut out the wind get sodden and cold.

Pretty useless then for the UK.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Add Lusso Pro Gel to the list...
  • ytchi
    ytchi Posts: 61
    I recently ordered some DHB Aeron Pro bib shorts and some Endura FS260 Pros to compare - the pad was better in the FS260s so the DHBs went back. The pad in the FS260s really is very good - it's quite thick but fits well and is very comfy, just what I needed for long roller sessions whilst the weather is bad.
  • Castelli velocissimo due would be my choice. I find the kiss 3 pad amazing.
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    Agree endura fs260s pad is excellent ( ?looks similar shape to the old assos pad) and the shorts feel very durable without compromising comfort, more race fit that my old dhb shorts. I got a matching fs260 jersey on eBay for £25 which was a steal.
  • Santini slice from Prendas.
    A mouthfull of mud, i guess ive crashed

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Bib shorts are all about the pad and FS260's are the best I have noticed for £70 if we are talking list price.
  • Thanks for the suggestions guys. Wiggle don't seem to do the endura bibs though.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Andyh4324 wrote:
    As title really I've been looking at some new bibs for this year and always hear good things about dhb stuff so maybe the DHB Aeron Pro Cycling Bib or maybe the Castelli Velocissimo Team Bib. Any opinions of either? I have a Castelli jersey so I know they make some good stuff, but don't know what their bibs are like. Or are there are some other good bibs for under £70 on Wiggle? (I have a voucher so must be from there) Your experiances would be really welcome.

I have the aeron race (one down from the pro) and the velocissimos. The castellis are a fair bit better. My Castelli size large are smaller than my dhb mediums though!
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    PaulMon wrote:
    The only downside is when they get really wet the places that have extra padding to cut out the wind get sodden and cold.

Pretty useless then for the UK.

Nope they are actually fine for the UK, unless that is you regularly find yourself in torrential rain, in which case yes these are probably not for you. However, I've ridden 38 hours in them since I bought them and in all kinds of conditions and this is the first time I have had cause for complaint. So for the riding I do they are perfect.

P
  • I've started using some of the Polaris range, the Venom ones are very good.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Fs260's. my training bibs of choice. brilliant. #1
    also the castelli's, whilst the pad isn't as thick, it is very very good. #2

one not to be recomended is the adidas sub £70 bibs. not usable over 30 miles, pad is terrible.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    I have some FS260 Pros, but have been unimpressed by their lifespan. After 57 hours of on-the-bike service mine are looking a little worse for wear: especially unraveling elastic around the leg hems and 5mm diameter holes in the shoulder straps. I won't go into details, but suffice it to say, these have not been spending too much time in the washing machine. :oops:
  • I use the dhb Aeron's, been using them for commuting & sportives. Always comfy, even after 70 odd miles. Still fit like they did when I bought them & they always wash up well! Cost about £25 if I remember correctly. Get my vote.
    Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
    Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I tried a few castelli - not impressed with their sizing and value. And some so thin - they're indecent.

DHB are good value and Planet X have some nice ones for £50 - they had 3 for 2 in their shops.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Slightly over your budget, but if your size is in stock, Assos Uno bibs are hard to beat for the price on offer here (further 10% off at the moment on indicated prices)

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ssozbbs260

I can't comment on the others mentioned in the thread but have often wondered about the dhb's.
    Peter
  • Any opinions on Sportful? They seem to have a few bibs around this sort of price. Remember I am limited to Wiggle's range here as I have a voucher. They don't do the Endura bibs that people recommend sadly, but they do do Altura. Which I always thought they were part of the same company?
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I have their winter full leg ones for winter and yes, they do a great job. the pad is excellent for medium to long rides ( 80-110 miles).
  • Anonymous
    Andyh4324 wrote:
    They don't do the Endura bibs that people recommend sadly, but they do do Altura. Which I always thought they were part of the same company?

Are they :-(
    Really dislike a lot of Altura stuff.
    I think a lot of people feel comfortable with the brand but could have got much better for the same money.

I would avoid Altura road specific kit.
  • philbar72 wrote:
    I have their winter full leg ones for winter and yes, they do a great job. the pad is excellent for medium to long rides ( 80-110 miles).
    Sportful you mean? Or one of the other brands?
  • Anonymous
    edited February 2014
    Just realised I have Sportful winter bib tights too (Tour) and they are pretty good as philbar said.

Not had any experience of Sportful bib shorts with a very decent pad, but have a few other Sportful items and all are v good quality IMO.

I really like Sportful stuff. They own Castelli I think.
    Often think Sportful looks better.
  • Have used the thermal Sportful bodyfit shorts this winter and have been very happy with them and have basically religated my assos bibs to the back of the draw. Will be buying some summer ones as well. For me the chammy just suits, not as thick as some, but has the right amount of padding where I need it. Size wise I've found matching to the hip measurement best, as I "sized up" as most reviews suggest but found out that wasn't needed (prob a half size smaller to be truthful).
    Have also used DHB Aeron pro's, but found they stretched and so didn't fit right after 4 or 5 mths.