Chain dropping

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Kept dropping my chain on one part of a rooty dh track at the weekend and couldnt work out why.

I had the superstar chain device (Plasma) roller pretty close to the chain ring, and the top guide about a mm clear of the chain, so there was hardly any room for it to come off but it still did repeatedly.

Zee chainring and Zee rear clutch mech. Could the chainring have worn, or could the mech have lost its tension? Or the chain? Or the device?

Comments

• pesky_jones
    Everythings roughly 3/4 of a year old and have had good use
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Does the clutch still feel firm? Shimano ones are internally adjustable iirc. Might help with a bit more trnsion
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How is it coming off (as far as you can tell?) sounds like the plasma is a BB mount style and the mounting plate is bending to allow it to come past the ring, in which case making up a spacing piece and cable tieing the plasma to the seat tube to stop the chain getting through the gap?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pesky_jones
    Twellysmat I will have a look at that - Not sure what exactly you would adjust, there's no obvious adjustments

Rookie - it is IS05 tab mount or something like that. I couldnt tell how it is coming off because I was on a dh track and couldnt look down - I only knew it had come off each time as I coudnt pedal the cranks! I'm not sure what would be forcing it out of allignment!
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    It is internal, so you need to pop the cover off and I think you rotate something to increase/decrease tension. I cant remember off the top of my head, its all in the manual which comes with the mech, or should be online somewhere if you have lost the manual.
  • I think we need a picture of your setup
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Narrow/Wide time?
  • pesky_jones
    I took the top guide and bottom roller off and it looks like backplate is bent at the.bottom roller. Reckon if I get it in a clamp I can bend it back, but how long will it last.. new backplate from superstar is 35 quid which isn't too bad.
  • pesky_jones
    People reckon itd be ok to just bend the backplate back into shape? or worth getting a new one?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bend it back, worst case is you are no worse off!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    bend it back and buy a narrow/wide chainring with the £35 you've saved then you'll be less likely to need the chain guide
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • pesky_jones
    Yeah Il get one of those narrow wide chainrings, I'm looking at what bolts I need, I have a single ring 36T zee crankset, I think they have FAT crank tabs, seeing as shimano saint have fat tabs, and zee is just trickle down tech.

Am I correct in thinking I need 10mm bolts?

http://www.raceface.com/comp/pdf/30T_NW_RING_HARDWARE_COMPATIBILITY_CHART.pdf